Steve or Tony 12 VISX

Started by Rivverrat, March 28, 2018, 09:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Recently viewed You Tube Vid with Steve in it can no longer find it.  In his hand was a 12 & 16 VISX. I noticed along with the clicker on the side plate was  a dial type black switch. Is this a cast control or clicker adjustment ?

Also I've heard rumors & murmurs of some tossing bombs & what not to Wahoo using the 12. Which seems a bit much to ask from any reel this size. Even if this is not true I would like some idea of how well the 12 does cast.

Thanks, ...Jeff

Tunanorth

Not a cast control; its an adjustable clicker; only on the 12VI's, not on the 12VISX.
I caught a few wahoo using bombs on the 12VISX during the test period, and its an "OK" caster, and of course also allows a decent underhand lob with a live sardine.
The Torque TRQ40NLD2 is a substantially better caster in this line capacity class.

Rivverrat

Thanks, Steve.   I've never fished for Wahoo.  An "OK" caster will work fine for what I'm wanting. I was just wondering if what I had heard was true.

Specifically what I'm needing is 6  4/0 size reels that will lob out a 1/2 - 2lb. live & chunk bait 20 -30 yards. A lot of reels will fit so far. Few of them will make more than 30 lbs. of fishable drag.  Being able to fish them in hand all day comfortably while not needing some major parts after one good season of use.

It looks like the 12VISX is very capable of what I'm wanting. Wasn't sure about how it casts. Thanks Again.... Jeff

Tunanorth

Ha-Ha, 1/2 to 2 pound baits? Yes it will cast those just fine.
I will note that I fished the test reels [and the current production models] on 7, 7.5, and 8 foot rods, nothing shorter.
Based on your drag needs, the 12VISX is among only a handful of good choices.

Rivverrat

;D Yes I know, but I had to ask. I cant walk into a store here & pick one up.

From years past I've been so disappointed with a lot of reels I've owned. So I guess I'm still a bit cautious.    

Coming here to this site at a time things had & were changing to a great degree within the industry I've come to learn that the issue in some cases regarding my reels  were my expectations.
The reels simply weren't capable of what I wanted. Were in fact never designed to do what I wanted & they displayed this by sometimes  coming apart in a unique way.

Also learned if I wanted strength with a low failure rate it probably wont be the lightest available.  "Strong, Lite, Cheap, pick two. "  

...Jeff