anyday at the water is a good day for me

Started by steelfish, March 28, 2018, 11:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

.......and even more if there is any good fish on the line

just like it happened just weeks ago, same place Gonzaga.
I got a really nice Cabrillas but the fish for the say was a Golden Cabrilla / golden grouper (there is some good leyends and stories about that fish), we prefer to keep the tradition of releasing any golden cabrilla any size, but this one that was caught by another guy was huge, he wanted to keep it cuz its allowed by law but we convinced him to release him, thats the local tradition so at the end he opted to let it go.
the more I fish the Makaira 15 the more I like it, there was a good cabrilla that gave me enough fight to put the low gear on good use, dang those adult cabrillas really take some line even at 25# drag at strike, the captain liked that much (and he was only seeing) that he ordered one of the same size right away.

some pics in no particular order

this one gave a wonderful fight, it was big, heavy and ugly

the mistic golden cabrilla

short video

catch for the day

some fatties on my ice chest

The Baja Guy

ChileRelleno

Fantastic Day!
Some great fishing, even better catching and soon to be awesome eating.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

SoCalAngler

Nice box of cabrilla there. Trolling Rapala type of lures around structure can be deadly on those fish. Cabrilla are one of my most favorite fish to eat. It's hard to put into words but if you like moist, sweet, more on the delicate side of a tasting fish the cabrilla is hands down the winner IMO. Sure other fish taste just as good, love me some chicken halibut, fresh caught coho or chinook but not that farm raised stuff and others come to mind but the texture of the other fish is nothing like cabrilla,

Steelfish I may end up with one extra lure that will work very well any place you would troll a Rapala. I have caught tuna, yellowtail, wahoo off shore with them but this lure is just as deadly inshore for pargo, cabrilla, grouper and even trigger fish if they feel manly enough to take a bite at it.

PM me a sending address and if I do end up with one extra I will send it to you free of charge. Before I send it I will PM you back, but that may be a month or two before I know if I will send it. I have a few friends in Mexico that I bought lures for and as you know here in the states sometimes it takes a while before I hear back from them. So I don't want to send you something someone wants there.

I hope you understand I'm not trying to tease you but I don't want to give something away that others may think is coming to them.

Benni3

Great job,,,,and that's a very cool looking grouper ;D

Rivverrat

Love seeing these pics of you putting that reel to use... Jeff

steelfish

thanks guys, that was for sure one day to remember, excellent weather, great friends, good fishing, event tho it look like many fish on the ice box we didnt get our limits, but thats nice, thats how I like it, what way we only eat fresh fish some few weeks and as soon as my wife see the freezer is getting empty she send me fishing again.  ;D its a hard work but a man have to do what a mana have to do.

The Baja Guy

David Hall

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on March 29, 2018, 01:00:22 AM
Love seeing these pics of you putting that reel to use... Jeff

my other trolling/bottom fishing rod on that day had the Baja Special reel that always go fishing with me too, by weird coincidence this time the fish wanted the color of the lure on the mak/phenix combo, the lure on the Baja Special/seeker combo got nothing, some bottom critters but not pic worthy.

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

buen trabajo compadre!...and good eating too ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Greta catch Andy! That golden cabrilla is one beauty of a fish.  The fish gods will reward you for letting those go.
All the best<
Dom

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Dominick

Good for you Alex having a great fishing day.  I love eating cabrilla also.  I laud you for letting that gold one go.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.