Another antique

Started by Florida Cracker, March 29, 2018, 05:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florida Cracker

Can't find any info on this. It was given to me almost 25 years ago and was old then. Made by Berkley.

oldmanjoe

I would send a email with picture to Berkley.    A quick google shows the later models...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

I have one like this, one similar, and two others that are medium duty, and heavy duty.

Berkley did not manufacture these, they just sourced and badged them for their dealers.

The later larger ones I have are manufactured by Triangle.

The one like yours, I have used for spinner spools, baitcasters, and conventionals up to 4/0.

Although all I use it for now is spinner spools.  Works good.

If the one you have were mine —

— Clean it up - rust, corrosion, crud, dust, dirt

— Do not plug it in or use the motor until you lube the shafts and check the brushes for corrosion

— lube all pulleys and shafts with a drop or two of oil

— find some extra round rubber belts at a vacuum cleaner shop, sewing machine shop, or online (the one you have is likely checked, and will fail soon

— check all wiring, and rewire or replace as needed

— disassemble the foot pedal to get to the contact resistance surface — clean that up so the resistance current is smooth, makes positive 100% contact, and is not jerky.  Electrical contact cleaner will work for this.

— keep a work glove handy to work the line as spools are filled — otherwise, painful cuts will occur, or fingers will get caught

— install (6) rubber non skid buttons on the underside.  If yours are hard, or missing, they will not hold the metering machine steady

All cheap and easy to do.  Enjoy the winding!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Florida Cracker

Thanks foakes. Great advice. When I get my house renovation project done I'll start organizing my workshop (again) and give it a permanent spot on a bench.