newbie squidder questions

Started by grekim, March 30, 2018, 12:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grekim

I finally landed my first squidder...yay!  It is far from perfect, but let's just say it will get fished  ;)
It is old enough to have what looks like asbestos washers, but I am replacing them with HT-100's.  I think the spool was replaced with a relatively new aluminum one.

1.  Eccentric spring:
It was missing the eccentric spring, so I ordered one from SB&T.  They are supposed to have more tension than the original.  Are these springs really okay to use?  

2.  Bearings:
I am no expert, but I pulled the bearings out and they seem good and turning smoothly.  I noticed that the non-handle side bearings are not available anymore from SB&T.  But, are the actual bearings and bearing covers/shields interchangeable from left/right sides??   On mine, both bearings are stamped with the same number, but one has the number on only one side of the bearing.
I was assuming SB&T meant that the "cap" that extends out from the non-handle side plate is not available, but perhaps one could use a handle-side bearing to replace a rusty non-handle-side bearing?
Finally, upon reassembly, does it matter which side of the bearing is in/out?

Many thanks :)
Educating fish on every trip

Keta

Are these springs really okay to use?  

Yes

....are the actual bearings and bearing covers/shields interchangeable from left/right sides?

The 5th post on this thread says both spool bearings are the same, 125" X .500" X .1719"
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3362.0

.... upon reassembly, does it matter which side of the bearing is in/out?

No, only angular contact bearings.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

grekim

Educating fish on every trip

Bracker

With mods, what kind of useable drag could you attain on a Squidder 140? The older maroon sided and brass spooled version?

ez2cdave

Quote from: Bracker on April 27, 2018, 11:10:05 PM
With mods, what kind of useable drag could you attain on a Squidder 140?

And so, it begins . . .

As a long-time Squidder fan, I'd like to hear more about Drag mods, too !

Tight Lines !

Bracker

I emailed Alan and got the answer to our question.

"Realistically, straight 20 pound test line and 6 pounds of drag.  just tear down the reel, grease the drags and consider a penn 24-56 jigmaster power handle.  it's a very small reel!!!!"

I was a little disappointed. Haha. I asked him if there was anyway to up it and he said not really, the reel wouldn't be very happy with more.

mo65

Quote from: Bracker on April 30, 2018, 04:40:46 PM
I emailed Alan and got the answer to our question.

"Realistically, straight 20 pound test line and 6 pounds of drag.  just tear down the reel, grease the drags and consider a penn 24-56 jigmaster power handle.  it's a very small reel!!!!"

I was a little disappointed. Haha. I asked him if there was anyway to up it and he said not really, the reel wouldn't be very happy with more.

I'm using Bryan Young's 5-stack drag kits in my Squidders and they make 10lbs. of very usable drag. With this kit it can develop 15lbs., but most line sizes used on a Squidder will never need that much power. I have a CC Squidder set up for catfishing with 25lb. mono and drag at around 8-10lbs...very capable little reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

The gears are small and there is no way to up them. That's the limiter. For sure, you can get more than stock numbers if you find a steel main gear, which are around, and use greased carbon fiber drags (preferably five stack). What that number is, you'll have to measure, but for sure if you go up a handle size to 24-66 or 56 with those guts, I'd get a stainless gear sleeve on it. IMO you probably are still within capability if the rest of the reel at that point, or maybe get a set of solid crossbars, or even a Tiburon frame, but man the Cortex Conversion kit is probably my favorite hotrod. 

John

bhale1

Ditto to what John said about the Cortez Conversions Squidder.... a favorite 😁

Brett

......and with a SS sleeve, and Bryan's drags I don't worry about going to 10 lbs.....

xjchad

Quote from: bhale1 on April 30, 2018, 07:57:30 PM
Ditto to what John said about the Cortez Conversions Squidder.... a favorite 😁

Brett

......and with a SS sleeve, and Bryan's drags I don't worry about going to 10 lbs.....

I sure love that reel Brett!!  8)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Swami805

I have a blue cortez squidder and couldn't be happier with it. Also the easiest build to date, snaps together like legos. A higher speed gear would be nice though. Perfect 20lb reel.
Really hard to go wrong with a 140,145 or146, newelled, tiburon frame or stock. Was one of my Dad's favorites too.
I have a 140 wide one with a newell kit that casts a mile
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Recently bought a 146. A little more refined & specialized then the other vintage Penns I've experienced, nice ball bearing system, love the how the star torques down into the head-plate and there's a brass(lookin?) insert where the star/Drag sleeve goes in, molded into the plate. Mine came with Newell stuff: bars, stand, & spool. Bearings seem well used, but man do they spinnnn... Seems like if I'mina cast it, gonna haveta mag it. One critique: the anti-reverse on/off switch seems so-so in strength, hope I don't drop the reel and tweak/break it. The AR eccentric is good, but the knob on the inner part, for actuating the dog, seems inadequate and I don't like the molded into-the-dog spring or the bakelite post(1/2 round on mine) that the spring rides on. Not the typical Penn "overbuilt" quality. I can see these parts wearing prematurely or needin to be adjusted alla time.

Question: whatsa best line for casting/surfcasting for this reel? It's got 20 lb. mono now, but I think it's too thin. Braid?, thicker mono? Squidding line?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

Gfish, my 146 was a hand-me-down from my Dad, who fished the heck out of it, I put the 146 newell kit on it way back in the day. Caught all kinds of fish on it even tuna to 30lbs and it's still going strong. As for the knuckle buster lever I don't think I ever used it, not sure why it's there. Think you're gonna like it, one tough little reel. I've always used 15-20 lb mono, never tried it with braid but the tolerances isn't that precise on old penns so it might be a "line-eater". One of penns better reels
Do what you can with that you have where you are

ez2cdave

Quote from: Gfish on May 01, 2018, 04:46:27 AMOne critique: the anti-reverse on/off switch seems so-so in strength, hope I don't drop the reel and tweak/break it.

I posted a pic that showed how I modded the eccentric lever ( not the free spool lever ) by "bobbing" it . . . I keep hitting it, otherwise.

My 140L's use Newell bars and the standard Penn reel seat, because I don't like the short "feet" on the Newell base. Also, the handles have been swapped for the 24-60 Jigmaster handle.

I use 25 lb Mono on my 140L's with greased HT-100 drag's, which gives me 7-8 lb of maximum drag.

For your 146, 15-20 lb Mono is probably the best range . . . 17lb is nice !

Tight Lines !

Bracker