Penn Internatonal 12 Question

Started by Navidad Nutcase, March 31, 2018, 04:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navidad Nutcase

well, I know this is NOT the way to find what I am looking for but I have been wandering around the site for an hour and can not get to the correct place to find the information on my question. I might as well have had the lights out.  I know that SOME place on this fast network of reel people SOMEBODY has broached the subject. I just can find it. So ... Question, Can I change, upgrade the drag on my international 12W from the asbestos to CF by buying the CF drag disc for the international 12H ? part number 117-12T. Do I need any other parts  modified ? Thanks
Greg
p.s If someone can just cut and paste the correct place to find this information, even I know how to click on a link. thanks again
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

Shark Hunter

Do you see the reply tab Greg?
It is on the bottom now since I replied to the post.
We will get through this.
There is one International Guru that comes to mind.
He will be with you shortly.
His name is John. aka Tightlines666
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Navidad Nutcase on March 31, 2018, 04:54:55 AM
well, I know this is NOT the way to find what I am looking for but I have been wandering around the site for an hour and can not get to the correct place to find the information on my question. I might as well have had the lights out.  I know that SOME place on this fast network of reel people SOMEBODY has broached the subject. I just can find it. So ... Question, Can I change, upgrade the drag on my international 12W from the asbestos to CF by buying the CF drag disc for the international 12H ? part number 117-12T. Do I need any other parts  modified ? Thanks
Greg
p.s If someone can just cut and paste the correct place to find this information, even I know how to click on a link. thanks again

Unfortunately, the answer is no.  Your 12W should have an asbestos washer glued to the spool.  You will have to carefully remove it, scrape/clean up the adhesive, and find a suitable carbon fiber washer to cut to size (using the old one as a template is easiest.  I think I used a Shimano TLD 15 washer, but maybe give Dawn at smoothdrag a call (or message/email) and she can likely set you up with a suitable washer.

It's a pretty simple process really.

I didn't glue mine down, and it worked ok reassembling with the stock parts.  I decided to change belleville config, and go with stiffer heavier washers in a stiffer config to get more max drag through.  

I actually havn't finished the final tune yet, so can't recommend a specific spacing/config at this time.

Sorry I took so long to answer, been fishing 5 of the last 6 days, and heading offshore in a few hours for another full day.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

John,
You are the Man! ;)
Even though this question has nothing to do with me, nor could I have answered it.
Your Quick response with pictures even, should give the Nutcase what he needs.
Thank You Sir!
Fish On Brother!! ;D
Life is Good!

handi2

The 12H and 12T are different than the regular 12. You can use the 117-DN plate in the H and T reels
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Navidad Nutcase

thanks to all of you for the help, the tutoring, and the suggestions. This is certainly a unique community of helpful friendly people.

Tightlines666 saved me a major amount of work rebuilding my '' new - to - me '' 12's and probably equally as much work when I get into the 12W's. Because he knows the 300LD drag washer will work, this will be a very easy fix. I would have never thought of that.
Now I am wondering about finding belleville washers the right size for the 12. I may be wrong because my 12W's are not here, but I think the bellevilles are a larger diameter in the other reels. What I mean is....are the plain old 12 belleville washers smaller than the 12W or 12T washers ?

I also have to remember to KEEP CHECKING BACK  to this board. Had I done one more check in, I would not have done all this needless drilling on that 12 spool.  Is there any way to delete the pictures of that overhaul? (mine)  Someone else is liable to see only my post and not Tightline666's original post and go thru the same needless work.

greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

Tightlines667

The drag discs I used is not a direct replacement, it is just slightly larger then needed, but it can be easily cut to size (I just used a sizzors). 

You will want 4 of the...

18-12T   18-12T Spring, Clutch Spring (12H)

Bellevilles per reel I believe.

You might also want a few...

55-6   55-6 Bearing, Ball Bearing (12H)

If your exhibit any roughness.

John

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Navidad Nutcase

thanks John,  I have the bearings. I ordered 1 set when I ordered the flat metal drag washer for the spool. The bearings in all 4 reels are tight but I will be replacing the metal drag washer from the spool side,- on all 4 reels -  with carbon fiber. Only the metal drag washer from the spool pictured was worn lopsided. The other 3 are fine. However, I am going to convert all 4  and add 2 belleville washer to each reel.
Also, I received an email from an other member on how to delete my post. So I will be doing that as well. There is no need for my pictures or my drag repair. Yours is cheaper and a more up to date - and a more effective drag system.
Greg