A Few Vintage Rods

Started by Alto Mare, July 24, 2011, 12:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Hey guys, I know that this site is dedicated to reels, but a reel is not much without its companion. I decided to take down and clean some of my rods today and I thought it was a good idea to take a couple of pictures of the new ones. Some of these rods are not easy to find in new condition today.  Hope you enjoy,
Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Wow, Sal -
You have some nice rods there! Have they ever been used? A rod collection to go with your Penn collection perhaps? ;D
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

Hey Sal:  I especially like the bent butt rods.  You really need those for 3lb fluke ;D. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Wow, look at those Fenwicks...with the saddle guides.  I cannot remember who made them, but they were not fun to wrap and align.  I was so glad when I switched to Aftco.  I remember not many people liked Aftco because it only had 2 contact points and the saddle guides had 4.  Well, I guess we know who won that battle...

Very nice collection.  Are they fished or just eye candy?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Thanks guys, this was just an opportunity to take a few pictures before putting them back. I do not fish with these, I have a few used ones. Dominik, I'm surprised at you, you already know what lurks in the waters here in the NE. By the way, the fourth rod from the left is the exact one that Quint used in the movie Jaws, just kidding ;D,  it is the exact same rod though. Bryan, a perfect exaple of they don't make them like they used to. The saddle guide where much stronger than the Aftco, I've seen these Afto guides on the 130lb Fenglass  bent all out of shape :-\ . Last year I sold my ST Croix Unlimited Class in black and red with the same saddle guides ,I should have kept it  :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

You continue to make me drool over your collections... great rods!  You know I'm a BIG fan of those wood-butt gripped senators... could you imagine "Big Red" on one of those ::) WOW!
Thanks
Dom 

rodent

Saddle guides were made by mildrum,went out of business quite a few years ago.

Tile

Nice rods. Show 'em with reels mounted  :).
In solid fiberglass we trust

Bryan Young

Quote from: rodent on July 24, 2011, 04:47:56 PMSaddle guides were made by mildrum,went out of business quite a few years ago.

Oh yeah, that was it.  Mildrums were my favarite ringged guides, other than Fuji.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Steve-O

I'm drooling!! ;D  What a nice obsession I mean collection! ::)  The wood and chrome remind me of my Dad's old rods.

thanks for sharing.

Steve-O

Harry

Drooling here too......stuck on this page now for 30+ min...Wish i had a few of those old Fenwicks .Your collection puts my rods to shame! :'( 

Alto Mare

Thanks Harry, the trick is to purchase one at a time and sneak one more in when the wife isn't looking ;D. I traveled to get the second and third rod from left, I didn't want the seller to mail them to me, they're my favorite. I'm glad you ejoyed them, take care, Sal

Harry

Now this post has me thinking why on earth did rod manufacturers change from this style, was there anything wrong with these type of rod styles?

I just cant stand these new so called game rods they try to sell over here these days. (light & flimsy)

Tile

The problem with rods destined for game fishing be it in saltwater or freshwater is represented by the hollow blanks on which they are built on. The solid blanks are best suited for this application. Anyone with basic knowledge in rodbuilding can circumvent the problem by removing the ferrule, putting in a solid fiberglass blank and then reglue the ferrule. This creates a rod that can stand up to punishment for years without loosing its power.
In solid fiberglass we trust