A Few Vintage Rods

Started by Alto Mare, July 24, 2011, 12:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

This thread arose again and I just found your note Sal.  Somewhere there are some old paper dead fish photos and I am going to make it a mission to find them.  One was with a small tarpon and one with my largest ever catch, an 8'11" lemon shark. The fish ran about ten feet and then went catatonic.  We thought I was dragging in a big wad of sargassum weed or an old tire or something until it was in knee deep water.  I think it was after that I made a rod from with a 36 thread Harnell blank, oak handle and reel seat of unknown manufacture, Mildrum guides off my old solid glass rod, cork foregrip, black 12/0.  Sold it a year or so later to buy a surfboard.  My mother says it all went downhill from there.  Those white rubber Harnell grips in Fishgrain's photos bring back memories too because we used the small five-inch size for casting and tarpon rods.  I think it was Harnell 542 blank and black 4/0 senator for tarpon and a lighter Harnell blank and 140 squidder for more casting distance.  That was on Padre Island and Mustang Island in the late 1960's.

TomT

Back in the 70's I took my son fishing on a party boat out of Virg's landing in Morro Bay, Ca.  I had purchased a new Penn 114h and had added a longer handle and one of those flat bases to fit on the rail--forget anything about the rod but was probably a matching Penn.  I hooked and eventually brought to the boat a blue shark that would have taped out at 10"  He was also "catatonic".  The deckhand thought I was bringing up a rock off the bottom.  There were no electronic cameras in those days and if there were pictures taken, I never saw them. ::)  The lure was cut off about 10' from the boat.  I would like to say it was a lot of fun, but it was really just a lot of work. ;)  Still wish there was a picture available.
TomT

anglingarchitect

Beautiful Rods and Penn collection. I remember Harnell blanks were It for a period back in the day Right?

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

reelrepair123

wow   sal,   very impressive,  real gems there, great rods for a great guy.  harryk

ez2cdave

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 24, 2011, 06:56:30 AM
Wow, look at those Fenwicks...with the saddle guides.  I cannot remember who made them, but they were not fun to wrap and align. 

Those are Mildrum "spraddle foot" roller guides . . .

Tight Lines !