Been busy

Started by Bill B, March 31, 2018, 09:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeri

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on April 02, 2018, 02:10:35 AM
will do just fine for me....until I start on heavier rods.  Next will be to build a dryer and try th two part epoxy.  I will admit it was fun and a great way to pass the time.....tight lines everyone.....Bill

There you go, first steps on a slippery slope..............  ::) ::)

Next will be the rod turner, then the fully enclosed oven/dryer and where will it stop!!!  But you will enjoy the ride.

Cheers

Jeri

gstours

Thanks for your post. We all try to help with little tips,  🙋‍♂️sometimes it's overwhelming.  I,m no expert but you have to walk before you can run.   Enjoy your hobby,   And if you're interested you can build your own rod dryer using a small gear motor and a chuck of various types and you will save money, and learn more about your variety of skills.   I think you can get a 6-8 rpm motor that uses house hold current  on amazon still for about 8 bucks.   Every time you use it you're saving money.    Just saying.🤦‍♀️

Swami805

Do be shy Bill, if you get the bug again holler. You can slide by without a dryer for 2 part finish, there's a few brands that have a quicker cure time now days.
Wish I could still get away with just using a 1 part varnish, The thicker high build magnifies every flaw so a good burnishing tool is your friend.
Hope to see some pictures when you hand a few with those
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

Nice work Bill.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Sheridan....I still have a Power Stick and Silstar in the first picture that still needs rebuilding...I'm open to any color combos....you hit a home run when I rebuilt the Nep-Tuna......if you have any suggestions or thread you would like to donate.... I would be really great full brother......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

I'm on the road Bill, I shoot you a PM when I'm home tomorrow.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on March 31, 2018, 09:15:03 PM
......... and I need a rod dryer  :P.  I figure in about 15 more years of practice John V. and Alex (Steelfish) will STILL not have any competition from me.... :D

somehow I missed this thread but let me tell you that those rods look really nice, you should have seen my very first try, I didnt even post it on here LOL
a rod drier will do wonders on the finish look, they are not that expensive, I have seen some for $35 shipped if I recall.
BTW, I also have 15 years behind of the real master rodsmiths on the AT.com ohana, good thing is they arent shy to share their best tips if you ask them.
The Baja Guy

happyhooker

Working on rods is kinda fun.  If you get some old, but sound, sticks, and rebuild them, you can end up with some quality rods for not much dinero.  Of course, your own time is worth something, but if you get satisfaction out of taking not much and making it into something worthwhile, that is pay back too.  I just finished a rebuild of an old "Catchmaster" graphite 1-piece 6'6" spinning rod (got it for a buck at a garage sale, along with reel attached).  Didn't have enough guides to begin with, and one had popped the ceramic insert out and another had a bent outer ring.  Blank in good shape as was handle.  Added back a number of guides that I thought would give a good bend & line following, using some Gutermann 100% polyester thread in a purple color that almost exactly matched the old thread.  Little silver trim to match the original wrappings, covered them all with multiple coats of water-based poly (dries quick--under 30 mins, easy clean up, does not give a high build look, but needs 10+ coats to look good) and I'm ready for spring to give 'er a whorl.

Frank