Started by Shark Hunter, April 01, 2018, 06:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

I hope you were wearing a leash.
-steve

conchydong

That's why these guys wear helmets.

Swami805

I took it one time at Big Sur in the shore pound. A big wave with hardly any water under it sucking up the sand, it looked like wet cement a few yards from the beach. It wasn't fun just slammed down on the beach in about 6" of water. Never saw it coming from behind. Must be really scetchy at night. Glad it worked our ok
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Army_of_One

Quote from: oc1 on April 14, 2018, 07:55:37 PM
I hope you were wearing a leash.
-steve
There was a leash on the paddle that I was holding onto.  The surf snatched the kayak away and broke one of the bands that I'd attached the leash to.  I'm am getting a helmet for kayak use now. ;D
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

I know for a few seconds, I wasn't sure what happened other than you crashed.
The Yak went one way, you the other and the glowstick broke off your jacket, and it went another.
Luckily, you popped back up pretty quick and I could tell that the glowstick wasn't on you any more, because your headlamp was still on your head.
I was in waist high water with jeans on, but I was ready to try and find you. I knew the water wasn't over my head there.
That was why the waves were so bad on that bar.
I think the biggest factor that caused this, was that we were in a hurry to get baits out, we should have moved on down the beach a little.
I'm just glad all that suffered was a knot on your noggin. ;)
We need to use my Kayak next time. Its lighter and faster, even with my big butt in it. ::)
See you in a couple weeks brother.
Everybody had fun and we made it back in one piece.
Spent the last night with Robin and his boys and mine having fun by the pool.
Life is Good. ;)
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Good job, gents, and glad everything ended well. This is good info, and may save someone some issues down the road. Next time you guys go, give a rundown on the yak delivery- safety and the safetyman, etc. I wouldn't have thought about the glowstick for instance....great idea.

Safe travels back to the nest, brother!

Army_of_One

Quote from: thorhammer on April 15, 2018, 11:32:24 AM
Good job, gents, and glad everything ended well. This is good info, and may save someone some issues down the road. Next time you guys go, give a rundown on the yak delivery- safety and the safetyman, etc. I wouldn't have thought about the glowstick for instance....great idea.

Safe travels back to the nest, brother!

I'm pretty good at figuring out systems, but Daron has this on lock!  He has a horn for letting me know when to stop!  I was just in a hurry to get bait out, because it was getting cold at night and I hate being cold and wet.  I bought a helmet last night.  :-[  It normally isn't that bad, but we've had some serious winds the past couple of days.
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

I know I won't be trying April Again. :o
The water is too cold and the winds too strong.
I've been back to Balmy Kentucky with Snow and 32 degree temps, but I still have wind burn on my forehead. :P
Life is Good!

Gfish

Maybe it's a "thing" this Spring. Cold temps. and rain, rain, and more rain in Hawaii this April. 2 weekends inna row and no fishin?!, no way!, even If I godda stick to the bay(water pretty colored now too) I'mna go.
Thanks for ride gents, gotta get to Florida some day...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shark Hunter

There is nothing like it G.
It is my happy place. ;D
Life is Good!

Jerseymic

Daron, you certainly look chilled out buddy.

What type of shark is that in your photo?

Mike.

Shark Hunter

That would be a Mako.
Fastest of the Sea.
As many trips as I have made, I still seek a shark worthy of testing my gear.
Hopefully this is the year old friend. I'm not getting any younger. Doing it this way from shore is tough, but rewarding.
Anyone can catch a Shark from a boat. Paddle out into the darkness, drop your bait and catch one from shore.
Wade into the water and tail rope it, drag it up and take the hook out. Then send him on his way. This is real.
You have to be a bit crazy to even try it, but it is such a rush when it all comes together. Plan and preparation are Key.
The gulf is so full of life, Not just sharks.
I try to stay incognito and fish in the evening into the night..
Sharks are Nocturnal and I don't want too much attention drawn to what I am doing.
I have only caught Blacktips, Bulls and Hammers, but there are a lot of other species.
Lemon, Nurse, Spinner, Mako, Bonnethead. The list goes on.
If I had to pick the shark I want to bite my line, It would be a Big Lemon or Bull.
They are tough and I know there chances are much greater at surviving.
I'm only in it for the sport. Nothing More. Just a game of chance more than usual.
Big Gear, Big Tackle and Bait. All require Preparation way more than normal fishing.
Catch and Release the Apex Predator.
There is no better feeing to me, than to catch one of these Monsters and watch him swim away after the Battle.
No worse from the wear. Just fishing, a little to the extreme. ;)

Life is Good!

Jerseymic

Thanks for the info, certainly got a nice set of teeth!!

Good luck on your quest, hopefully this will be the year.

Mike.

Still dream of a 16/0 and you are getting a 20/0 wow!

Shark Hunter

That dream can easily become a reality. ;)
Life is Good!

conchydong