Navarre 2018

Started by Shark Hunter, April 01, 2018, 06:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

That pier is only a few years old. They Boast it is the longest pier in the gulf. It is 500 yards long.
The Octagon is always very crowded. They Charge $6 if you want to fish.
Never tried it, Been out on it a few times, but never saw a lot being caught.
The deal breaker for me is they close at dusk. That is when I want to have my lines out.
Life is Good!

handi2

Daron do you see any shark fisherman on the pier at night? I do believe that they do fish there at night.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

The Navarre pier closes at night.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Another great report Daron. It's nice to have something to look forward to, especially when shared with the family.
I'm glad you had a good time.

Great pics by the way.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

nice trip Mr Shark, even better when shared with the beloved ones.

looks like this time you only used big spinner reels, any reason for that amigo?
The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

I used my Big Senators too.
We just started using the spinners the last few days because the surf was so rough, and we were tired of lugging the Kayak down to the beach.
Stormy Weather played a part in that too. You can get off the Beach must faster with just spinning gear.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

I think you can still find Fin nor Offshore around too. they are beasty and their largest is 9500SS size.

FatTuna

I was down in the keys for the month of April this past spring and there were a ton of sharks there man. Literally shark heaven. Huge bulls, 14 foot hammers, lemons, spinners, etc. It was harder to get away from them than it was to get into them. I'm thinking it might be worth considering a trip farther south next spring. The weather was hot. So hot that I had to seek the indoors during the middle of the day to avoid being cooked alive. The tarpon fishing was unreal. On a good day, I hooked up to 10 fish. I had giant hammers circling me while tarpon fishing. They'd disappear for a bit only to come back before sunset. They'd put their fin up out of the water and circle and circle, lol. They were literally all over the place at night. Dead mullet on a circled hook was the ticket. Hooked plenty of big spinners that would jump and do  back flips.

Earlier in the season, head south. You won't be disappointed, I promise.

Army_of_One

I can't find the video, unfortunately.   :-[ My Gopro crapped out.  I am glad it was smooth compared to the last trip though.  ;)  Your kayak made the difference honestly.  I could surf it without getting rolled.  I hope to get out again with you this year and catch a shark that gets your attention.  ;D
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

Mike and I might make a quick trip before my week in September.
We are working on the details. He is still excited from that Black tip. That was his first Shark of any size.
He is getting pretty good at it. You saw how he took control when we realized I had that Tiger on the line.
As appealing as the Keys Sound, That adds 500 miles. I don't think I could drive 21 hours straight.
Having to stop loses a day of fishing, and I doubt I could rest much anyways.
I am in Stealth Mode when I Drive. I can't relax until I reach my Destination.
It is a solid 12 hours to Navarre and that is enough.
I do want to try Cape San Blas one time.
Life is Good!

Army_of_One

I managed to get it back!
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Love it.   ;D

Yakking out baits at night can get really eerie at times, a little fog on the water, limited visibility and a something unseen makes a big splash nearby. Especially when you've fresh cut baits trailing blood out the scuppers, and you 'know' there're sharks bigger than your yak swimming round out there.  :o

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Army_of_One

I'm not that worried about the stuff out there.  Then again, I wasn't worried about getting run over by my own boat until it happened.  ;D
Another day in Paradise!

ChileRelleno

I'm not talking about worry or fear  ::)
I'm talking about that wonderful spooked out feeling, when you can't help but to hear the theme music to Jaws.

My only fear is the healthy respect for possibly wiping out in the surf and having that yak hit me in the head.
But fear produces adrenaline and I love adrenaline.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."