Main Menu

Powder Coating

Started by Eddie Hernandez, April 01, 2018, 08:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Hernandez

Hi All decided I wanted to make my own bucktail jigs with a swivel/swiash hook. Ordered some spro jig heads and powder coated them using a fluid bed I made myself using some pvc,aquarium accessories,the design I got from the internet. Anyone have any experience using them?

bhale1

No experience, but you got my attention 😀 so, what was the process, and what do you think of the results? They look pretty good! Nice job!
Brett

Eddie Hernandez

Heat up the jig head over a heat gun until they appear wet/shiny and dip quickly in and out of the powder. You get a better finish with a fluid bed as opposed to dipping into a jar w/Powder & will use less paint ($)! It also helps with the finish which is baking them in a oven fro 15min @ 350 this makes them extremely durable! No need for epoxy finish! I included pics of tools I used.

Tiddlerbasher

The results look great :)
Do you bubble air into the liquid powder coat? 'Cos that sure looks like an aquarium air pump :-\

Eddie Hernandez

Yes it's an aquarium air pump it bubbles the powder and the valves in the tube are aquarium air valves.

Tiddlerbasher

OK - now why do you bubble air through the paint? Does it just help the mix :-\

SoCalAngler

Wow that looks cool, but in my opinion a bit complicated, yes? I personally have no affiliation with this company other than buying one product from them and it was not there powder coating stuff. The product I did buy was for coating a few Tady type of irons. Not the Tadys irons but some may know other jigs by the name of a PL 68. IMO this stuff is assume, works great and the glow will last longer than most people can crank.

Maybe their powder coating stuff works just as well? I really don't know. But, I would not shy away from buying a product they have to offer again.

I was fully pleased with the kit I received and the ingredient's coated several more jigs than was stated.

Wow I just watched the full video here. That seems like a lot of work fully coating the jigs. I only bought the the their other pruduct for coating one side the jigs I have.

gstours

Hey ,  fast eddy,  not so fast,,,   What is a fluid bed?   In a solution?  If so,  what.   I like what you are
.   We are learning from you.   Thanks

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Eddie Hernandez

Quote from: gstours on April 03, 2018, 03:11:16 AM
Hey ,  fast eddy,  not so fast,,,   What is a fluid bed?   In a solution?  If so,  what.   I like what you are
It actually does not work with any fluid, works by only using the air provided by the air pump when the air is flowing through the powder it gives the appearance as if it's fluid. The powder is resting on a piece of brown paper bag that I use as a filter the air fllows  through the paper bag and bubbles up the powder paint .I will provide some photos of a complete breakdown of the canister,All purchased at home depot made 4 for under $20.

thorhammer

You have my attention....good work..

Eddie Hernandez

Quote from: gstours on April 03, 2018, 03:11:16 AM

Below are some  pics  of the pvc tubes I constructed taken apart also included 2 bucktails I finished up.

David Hall

Really nice.  I'm thinking a step by step tutorial on building and using this would e awesome.

Eddie Hernandez

Quote from: David Hall on April 05, 2018, 02:31:27 AM
Really nice.  I'm thinking a step by step tutorial on building and using this would e awesome.
That's actually a great idea  and  might even be fun