3/31/18 SoCal surf fishing

Started by xjchad, April 01, 2018, 09:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

On another furum that I'm a member of we have a yearly contest called the Saturday Night Bat Fight where all the counties in California compete to see who can land the biggest bat ray.
Team Ventura County consisted of only my dad, my son, and myself.

I really didn't have any time to scout any spots this year so when conditions looked good when we rolled up to the first spot at about 10am we got set up and went to work. This is still a new spot for me but I knew it had good potential and this time it paid off. Conditions were foggy and overcast, light breaze, little current and barely any surf. The only thing that didn't look good was the water was still a bit brown. We set up five rods with squid and Mac. 10 minutes after setting up, dad gets a run and puts a 37" bat on the sand. 5 minutes after releasing it, he gets a knock down on his other rod and this one goes 48".

Notice he's still smiling here, he caught 7 of the 10 bats and is hurting pretty good today.

I finally get a good run that feels really heavy. After fighting it for awhile I passed the rod to Logan to finish the fight. He did an awesome job playing the fish but I had to ease up on the drag a bit so it didn't drag him out to sea!

I finally got my hands on it and we measured it as our biggest of the day at 48.5"

The action was pretty steady all day and at one time we had a double of 37" & 47" bats going. Logan tag teamed many of them with us and did an awesome job cutting bait, baiting hooks, and playing fish.

I'd had two knock downs that I was convinced were sharks and briefly hooked one that surfaced so knew they were out there. When dad landed one of the smaller bats I quickly dispatched it and carved off a good size chunk. I got a really good cast and let it soak for probably an hour. At about 6:00 the patience paid off as I saw my rod tip bow and then go slack. I brought the line tight and set the circle hook securely in the corner of his jaw. He instantly surfaced, thrashing on the surface and taking a couple good runs. I handed the rod off to Logan and the shark jumped two or three more times as he fought it.

Once it was in the wash I grabbed the tail and slid it up on the beach.

Logan was as stoked as I was! He even came over to touch it. This male 7gill measured out at 94"! After a couple of pics I got it unhooked and back in the water for a clean release.

My dad and I both said this was one our best days fishing and I'm pretty sure Logan agreed.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

swill88

Great report Chad!  (Not to long at all).

I'd say you are dialed in. Keep it up!

Thanks. Steve

handi2

This will be a "one for the old days fishing" when Logan gets older. Family fishing at its best!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Swami805

Way to go Chad. You certainly have the local beaches mastered. Bunch of mud marlin and a 7 gill. Epic!  I never tried it but heard the 7 gills are good to eat. A day Logan will never forget. Thanks for posting Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rivverrat

That pic with your son on the rod & his grandpa to his left is a classic... Jeff

Alto Mare

Not long at all Chad, you actually need to add more on the gear you were using.
3 generations getting it done, not something you see every day.
Great report men ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

theswimmer

Fantastic report....,
These times with our kids are the best of times.
I would have to say that my grandson is my best friend.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

steelfish

Awesome day amigo Chad
Those mud marlin from the surf are a really work out
What reel, rod and Line were you guys using?
The Baja Guy

xjchad

Thanks guys!
Gear wise:
My dad caught most of his fish on his 12' Sealine surf rod with a Shimano Baitrunner 12000.
I caught mine on my 12' Penn Prevail surf rod and Penn 9500SS.
I love this 9500SS and I'm now looking for another one!
It has Adam's titanium double dog and ratchet kit and a Penn Power handle and bailless kit compliments of Sal.
It's spooled with 500 yards of 80 lb. braid

If anyone has a 9500SS they are looking to part with, please let me know  ;)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Alto Mare

Nice Chad, I was thinking that was the reel you used. Don't let the smoothness of your dad's reel get you, eventually you'll be ahead of the game. :)
I'm glad you like the 9500SS.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Cortez_Conversions

Sweet for you guys! Looks like a great time!!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Dominick

Family time on the beach and fish were caught.  It doesn't get any better.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

Bravo! I can't even remember the last time My dad and boys and I all fished together...fantastic! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

gstours

Thanks for sharing your experience here with us.  I,d be down there too, if I could.  Great time with your so too.   That's priceless.   Your a great dad.   Good luck 🍀