An Old Skool 3/0 Hot Rod

Started by mo65, April 02, 2018, 01:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Nice Fred, the beginning of Nascar! A lot of the early drivers and mechanics started out running Shine
Thanks Moe, Figured it couldn't be that easy
Do what you can with that you have where you are

gstours

Thanks again for helping us understand this part of history we new knew butt is still in our roots.🧐

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

thorhammer

mo65

Quote from: foakes on April 02, 2018, 02:45:34 PM
Folks started hopping up plain, normal looking cars from the outside — into lightning fast vehicles under the hood — with special suspensions, bored out cylinders, extra carbs, sometimes even superchargers.  But speed wasn't everything — skill at knowing every curve under different weather conditions at night —along with license plates that rotated with a switch, brake lights to toggle off when needed, even one-wheel lever braking to do a 180 in one lane at high speeds.

These cars still looked like your grandfathers work car on the way to Church every Sunday.  Plain, generally black like all the other cars, unremarkable.  But in the right hands, unstoppable and uncatchable.  Tough, capable, and deceptive.

I really like how Mike's Senator is like those early roadrunners.  

He might nickname it the "Moonshiner".

Excellent idea Fred..."The Moonshiner" it is! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

steelfish

awesome build Mo,

you might want to contact Keta (Lee) and check if he still have some of his octagon inserts for your build along with some 112h SS dogs.

I have a 112h with double dogs as well but its standar size spool (I would like to have one of those extra narrows tiburon kits that were sold recently but I have no much use for the reel).
check it out here
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18915.0

The Baja Guy

handi2

Please note on reels that you can see the gear sleeve pin showing on the outside of the body with the bridge in place you can do it an easier way.

Have the gear sleeve, main gear, and double dogs set in the reel. Now you can set the bridge straight down into the gear sleeve and reel. Putting the pin in last from the outside. It works on the 114H.

That's a perfect size reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mike1010

Keith, that's a great tip.

Nice job, Mo.  My Dremel skills are primitive.  Did you use a cutoff wheel for the spring slot, and a burr for the rest?  Did you make any kind of jig, or is the work all free-hand?  Thanks.

Mike

mo65

Quote from: mike1010 on April 05, 2018, 06:37:12 PM
Nice job, Mo.  My Dremel skills are primitive.  Did you use a cutoff wheel for the spring slot, and a burr for the rest?  Did you make any kind of jig, or is the work all free-hand?  Thanks.

I used a cutoff wheel for the whole operation Mike...all freehand. The spring slot is naturally just a quick zip of the wheel, and I just made a cut downward into the plate and  then across, notching out a little platform to match the original dog's "house". It takes all of 5 minutes, it's much easier than it looks. 8)

mo65

I can't believe this project is over a year old and I still haven't had this beauty on a rod. Hopefully one of these days...:-\

Crow

So many reels..., so little time  :D
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

steelfish

Quote from: mo65 on July 05, 2019, 06:32:04 PM
  I can't believe this project is over a year old and I still haven't had this beauty on a rod. Hopefully one of these days...:-\

ooh c'mon Mo, you are not alone in this kind of problem, I feel your pain buddy.

we need to start doing what our friend Benny is doing, using a 16/0 to catch catfish, a penn torque spinning for trouts, etc, etc

so, next time you are fishing for green bass take your 3/0 and show them hows the boss, time to make the LMB skiing on the surface at 30mph to you per every crank of the reel
The Baja Guy

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Alto Mare

Quote from: steelfish on July 05, 2019, 07:43:30 PM
Quote from: mo65 on July 05, 2019, 06:32:04 PM

ooh c'mon Mo, you are not alone in this kind of problem, I feel your pain buddy.

we need to start doing what our friend Benny is doing, using a 16/0 to catch catfish, a penn torque spinning for trouts, etc, etc

so, next time you are fishing for green bass take your 3/0 and show them hows the boss, time to make the LMB skiing on the surface at 30mph to you per every crank of the reel
Benni knows his stuff, he's steadily having fun ;)

Quote from: Crow on July 05, 2019, 06:48:37 PM
So many reels..., so little time  :D

I hear you :-\...
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.