Oahu South Shore Easter Week Report

Started by Tightlines667, April 02, 2018, 05:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

This past week had light winds, peak currents, and good temperature charts, so I went fishing as much as I could.  

Last weekend my friend Captain Jay had successfully days on Saturday and Sunday fishing the diamondhead pinnacle and Penguin Bank with his typical ballyhoo dink bait trolling rigs.  He caught 5 Mahi in the 15-25lb range, 2-20lb Wahoo, a Barracuda, and a Striped Marlin.  He missed another 3 Wahoo, and 4 Mahi.

We dropped the fish on the block Sunday evening, and went out to dinner.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Monday

We both took half days at work, and I hoped on Jay's boat along with a couple of young marines.  We fished the diamondhead pinnacle area for 5 hours w/o any success.  

Wednesday

I took the boat out myself from 1500hrs to 1930hrs.  I high speed trolled for Ono (Wahoo) on the 40fa. Ledge around Barber's Point with no bites.

Thursday

I went solo again from 1600-1930hrs.  I ran my small marlin lures at 11 knots out to the diamondhead Pinnacle and back with no bites.

Friday

I fished a temp break 8nm S of Pearl Harbor from 1700-2000hrs with my 5 and 7" Mahi baits.  I fish took a swipe at a bait and missed.

Saturday

I lleft the dock at 0900hrs and met up with Jay 12nm south of Pearl Harbor.  I found a floating bucket holding at least 2 Mahi.  They ate a few chunks of bait when I first tossed them in the water, then turned their noses up at the remaining chum, and hooked baits, jigs, spoons, and poppers I tossed.  They dropped down deep.  I left them and Jay, and trolled 18nm out to the HH FAD bouy.  As I arrived, it went from no wind and a light 2-3' chop/4' groundswell to a torrential downpour, with 100' visibility, 35knot wind gusts, and short/steep 5-6' waves in like 20mins as a storm hit.  I pounded my way for 2.5hours uphill back along the 500fa. curve.  As soon as the weather broke, about 3nm S of Barber's Point, I took a double wahoo hit on my 7" lure spread.  The fish hit the only 2 purple colored baits in the spread (the short corner, and the long rigger).  After a 30 second run the short corner hooks pulled, but I landed the nice 30lb Wahoo on the long rigger.  I continued to work this area the rest of the day, and had 5-15class Mahi crash my spread w/o getting hooked.  Jay managed to land 3-20class Wahoo, and 2-15lb Mahi.  He lost another Wahoo that missed the hook.  We dropped 3 Wahoo on the block.

Sunday

I left the dock at the crack of noon, after digging up a dozen Ballyhoo/Seawitch combos, and borrowing a pair of planers from Jay.  I ran to Barbers,  set up a 4 bait Wahoo spread, and trolled the area I found fish the day before.  No bites.  Found a current line, and worked it 10nm offshore to the west.  I caught I Barracuda on the planer.  Turned south, worked the BO FAD bout for a while, and ran back to where I started the day.  Current looked great on the ledge, so I ran inside and trolled the 40fa back towards the harbor.  After rounding the last point, I pulled the throttles back, and pulled my lines.  As I was reeling in the last bait (the shallow planer), a Wahoo smacked it.  I set the hook, and after a nice 75yd run, and some head shaking, I brought the fish to gaff standup on my hot-rodded 9/0.  Had him on the block 1.5hrs after landing, he weighed out at 22lbs.  Funny how I trolled 40+mm and ended hooked up 3nm from port.

Weather was beautiful, and although the bite was a bit slow, it was great to get out.  With any luck those 2 fish should bring enough money to cover fuel/bait/ice costs for the week, or nearly so anyways.

Jay is out fishing Wahoo again today.

John
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Pics...
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

More pics...
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

More pics...
Hope springs eternal

Alto Mare

Nice John, that's what I call being persistent. :) That was a nice surprise at the end , you earned it!
Good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

Thanks for the report and pictures, heck of a week with a payoff at the end. Nice they let you sell what you catch there to offset your costs,wish we could do that here
Any chance you can mount a GoPro on your cabin? must be quite a show clearing all your lines solo when your bit!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

that is a good week fishing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

Great fishin' John! I'd love to catch one of the wahoo...looks like a blast. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Benni3

Shark Hunter

Good work John.
Glad to see those Senators doing what they do best. ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

My 2 Wahoo @44lbs gilled and gutted fetched $4.80/lb-10% auction commission, $190.08 total.  My trip costs (fuel/bait/ice) were $250 on the week.  This means it only cost me about $10/day to go offshore fishing.  Beats the heck out at the local full day charter rates $1100+.  Of course I still need to pay General Excise, and Income tax on that, and really my fixed ownership, cost were closer to an additional $350, still under $100 per trip.  Il

I hope the Wahoo fishing continues to improve over the next 2 months, and I can figure out a way to catch a few more.  I just ordered a pair of planers...

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/hofmann-tool-die--32-oz-planer--2980779?adpos=1o1&creative=108421562044&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&mrkgadid=3076662381&mrkgcl=481&rkg_id=h-e78ef39dc407195363559ed99ac27ea9_t-1522801597&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzIzWBRDnARIsAAkc8hGuMn0Hce33xAkSjkadVN53O0i1IjSWm8_eqQ7HdG5x_kwykUwX_CUaAqZCEALw_wcB

Cheaper and easier to run then my downrigger.

We also ordered another 2 cases of Ballyhoo from Florida.

The temperature break has been holding pretty steady for the past 4 days

John
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

I have no doubt you will prevail John.
You have your technique down to a science.
Very Impressive my Man. ;)
My approach is very different.
I can only go three times a year and deal with the cards I am dealt and the time at hand.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I managed to sneak out for 1.5hrs around sundown yesterday.  I checked the same area I caught the last fish.  Good current, but temp break is gone, and no one was home.

Wind is blowing for next week to week an a half, so maybe I will finally have time to start servicing/spooling the 4-130 lever drags, International 12, TLD15, 2-14/0s, and 3-12/0s.

John
Hope springs eternal