Comparison of Super 270 vs 550/550N sizes

Started by festus, April 02, 2018, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

The D.A.M. Quick 550 has a line capacity of 300 yds 20 lb test mono and weighs 20 oz according to an old ad.  I also saw the D.A.M. Quick 550N holds 330 yd 20 lb line and weighs 19.1 oz.

I'm just trying to size up the 270 if I ever decide to get one.  Anybody have the weight and line capacity of the Super?

Midway Tommy

3.2:1 gear ratio, 21oz +-, .016" - 15lb - 350yds..... .020" - 20lb - 260yds..... .024" - 30lb - 200yds.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Thanks Tommy, very similar in size to the 550 series, just a wee bit heavier.  Plenty of Super 270s out there online to be had.

oldmanjoe

The 550 and the 270 share the same spools .  the 270 just looks more refined than the 550.
I think the 550 would be braid friendly ,more cross wind than the 270.  joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

festus

Quote from: oldmanjoe on April 02, 2018, 09:42:23 PM
The 550 and the 270 share the same spools .  the 270 just looks more refined than the 550.
I've never seen a 270, aren't their spool made of metal and will they fit a 550?

swill88

Quote from: festus on April 03, 2018, 12:59:09 AM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on April 02, 2018, 09:42:23 PM
I've never seen a 270, aren't their spool made of metal and will they fit a 550?

The 270 has a metal spool and fits the 550.  Not the 550N.

Steve

oldmanjoe

The 270 `s can have 3 different spools , 2 are aluminum and 1 is plastic 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Alto Mare

I'm fresh into these, but within 3-4 months I purchased a couple of dozen of 270's a few 275's and 5 nice size boxes of parts. I also have a couple of 550's but only two.
There are 4 types of spools that I've run into:
One piece aluminum with multiple drag washers
Two piece aluminum with 4 screws holding it together and one drag washer
Three piece aluminum with 8 screws holding it together and one drag washer
One piece plastic spool with multiple drag washers.
I believe these 4 spools are shared by both reels mentioned here.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

Congrats on the part lot, Sal. Looks like you're set for awhile.  I think you Fred and a guy from Iowa have the Dam parts market cornered.  :o
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)