Hot rod drag in another YTS for jigging

Started by gstours, April 03, 2018, 04:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

This thing was experimental every thing seemed to work.

steelfish

Gary, is that hex insert made out of a wrench socket?
The Baja Guy

gstours

The cf washers were hexagonal and easier than the eared ones that some of us used to use in yesterday year.

gstours

Alex,  yes, it's shown below.  Certainly strong.  It's a lot of work.  Butt,  thanks to the folks that went here before me,  you can order the equivalent on line as this stuff becomes available.
   Adams drag kits are very good.   This predates those by a couple of years.

gstours

The tall good looking guy shown at the start of this post didn't know what he had holding in his hands.🙈
   The drag gear was tested all last summer, and seemed very smooth and strong.
I would not do this again but you never know.   Thanks 🙏 to all the folks again for helping us get to where we are going.   Big fin is waiting 🧜‍♀️
   The YTS is a great little reel.   Very affordable if you're a diy person.🙋‍♂️

El Pescador

Quote from: gstours on April 25, 2018, 04:36:16 PM
The tall good looking guy shown at the start of this post ....   
The YTS is a great little reel.   Very affordable if you're a diy person.🙋‍♂️

Gary!  You make me blush!

I had to default on the ProGear reel ONLY because Dominick was all over the TANK like a chicken on a June Bug!!!

And now that you know me, like a 7 year old, I ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS, and appreicate you answering all of mine re: the ProGear I fished with for 3 days.

When is salmon season starting????

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

gstours

Thanks for only blushing Wayne, you only played back fiddle because Dommie could not buy a bite,  n, I had to keep an old Italian kinda sober.   So I drummed up a good fish.     The Tank proved its worth.   I am glad to have been there in a great part of reel testing.   Thanks to both of you.
  I think we released about 3 halibut over 200+ pounds.   Was it fun?🤦‍♀️
       N I remember something about you kinda hogging the Tank when we had to walk the rod around the boat 🚣‍♀️,  chime in this could be fun.   Thanks again to all of my friends and let's go fishing 🎣 again.⚓️

gstours

After disassembly and inspection everything seemed fine so it was relubed and retested for drag capability.
   It is amazing to see what you can do nowadays in a small package.
The drag system can hold 49# and maybe a little more.   As not wanting to break anything ,  I was satisfied that I'm ready for the new year of flattys.
   This reel has a clicker and my drag package.  The sister to this first one has a hex insert shown earlier and no clicker.   That's about the only differences in the pair.🧜‍♀️🧜‍♂️

steelfish

wow Gary, thats really impresive, 49# stopping powa
The Baja Guy

gstours

Stopping or slowing a good fish is usually on my mind and a fun part of fishing.   Then hoping your knot was tied right🎣
  After fishing these reels a little they're similar to the penn 113h YTS versions. Shown below is a j variance frame/spool that's a very solid tank.   The spool width is 1.70 inches and weighs 33.4 ounces.

gstours

This frame is in between the Accurate and the tiberon frame for weight and material removal.  The color is not much.   Butt?🤦‍♀️

gstours

The 454 pg is a little narrower in the spool and frame and has slightly less line capacity.  It's spool width is 1.45 inches and weighs 32.7 ounces.   The pg 454 is .35 inch less in width and the diameter appears to be the same.   Just saying.

gstours

Other wise these are similar reels,  one you have to make from after market parts and the other can be bought used as is and modified.   
   The pg 454 comes with and without the clicker option.  These are great little reels in my opinion.💁‍♂️

gstours

Oh my,  I forgot to add the pg 454 has a one pc frame and left side plate.  While the 113narrow typical screws are used.  It's a design thing,  I'm not going there "which is better" 🤔.

gstours