Soap or no soap?

Started by wildcard, April 07, 2018, 01:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildcard

I would guess this subject has been talked to death, but just incase I would love reel experts opinions on the subject. I have a charter boat and after every trip, we wash rods/reels with Dawn and fresh water using a mitt. After they drip dry for a bit, we hang them in the overhead rod racks ready for the next day. I am terribly old school and take care of what I have. Lots of talk over the years of just rinsing with fresh water, using "salt away", soap/water, etc..... The biggest thing I hear is that Dawn breaks up the grease inside the reels. But I also know that saltwater is Mother Nature's solvent and it breaks down everything. What have you guys seen over the years that leads to longevity of gear? I use primarily the Shimano TLD type reels and am a big fan of Fluid Film/3 in 1 oil, on everything. Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks, Frank

Long Enuff

We use Orpine (no wax version) soap and very soft brush on all rods and reels after each trip. We also use quite a few Shimano TLD reels and it seems to have worked well.

oldmanjoe

For me it`s 25% dawn ,25% white vinegar and 50% water in a spray bottle .    Shake , spray wait 2 minutes than rinse .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Reel 224

My two cents worth: I would wash down with fresh water for the season and see the results at the end, as far as condition. Do you service the reel every season?

I would personally have a service program that you follow on the off season, no matter what you use for wash down, it will create corrosion eventually.

Finally do a test on the methods used and see the results for your self. We use fresh water nothing else. I service my reels at the end of the season, but I would add I do not have a charter boat just two fishermen me and my wife.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bill B

I'm not a charter captain, however my .02 is a good preservice with lots of grease and oil in the right areas will go a long way, and a daily soap and FRESH water rinse will go a long way too.  During the season a spray of oil on the exposed areas will keep corrosion at bay.  TriFlow comes in an aerosol and would be convenient here.  Then the mandatory post season service.  The bearings will be the weak spot, TSI or ReelX will be a great help here.  Hopefully other charters will chime in with their tips and tricks.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Reel Beaker

For my rods, i wash them with water and soap, although i know of others who just rinse their rods with fresh water.

In fact, i rinse my rods with soap and water twice, after each saltwater fishing trip. It would be followed up with brushing the guides, reel seat and grip with a soft tooth brush. For my rod to catch sardines, i would brush the rod blank at places with fish scales, since sardines have lots of scales and they tend to stick to the rod blank.

For my spinning reels, i would pull out the spool, and wash it with running water.  If you are particular, you can pull out your drag washers before doing so and put them back later. This would be followed with brushing the spool with the brush mentioned above. Place it on a table, and allow it to dry. The main body would then be wiped off with a wet and damp cloth.

I do not think that you need to be worried about saltwater corrosion much if you service your reel regularly with saltwater grease and corrosion X.

Just my opinion though.

Reel Beaker

In fact, i rinse my rods with soap and water twice, after each saltwater fishing trip. It would be followed up with brushing the guides, reel seat and grip with a soft tooth brush. For my rod to catch sardines, i would brush the rod blank at places with fish scales, since sardines have lots of scales and they tend to stick to the rod blank.

For my spinning reels, i would pull out the spool, and wash it with running water.  If you are particular, you can pull out your drag washers before doing so and put them back later. This would be followed with brushing the spool with the brush mentioned above. Place it on a table, and allow it to dry. The main body would then be wiped off with a wet and damp cloth. Also i apply corrosion X to all the screws and apply a layer of that to the entire reel once a month.

I do not think that you need to be worried about saltwater corrosion much if you service your reel regularly with saltwater grease and corrosion X.

Just my opinion though.

Gfish

What Joe, n' Bill, n' Beaker's talkin 'bout. Especially though, the ballbearing thing (as in TLD spool bearings). FW rinse good, cleaning stuff added to the water better, marine grease & corrosion-X great, but at some point in time and use,  SW's gonna get into the ballbearings, even if it's just the vapor. Pain in the rear perhaps, but takin 'em apart several times/year and cleanin the ballbearings might pay. Or, maybe buyin a buncha the right size one's and cycle them through the reels, just to keep Your operation going smooth (dirty one's gettin cleaned, then installed next time).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

day0ne

You can over think this. My TLD's went into the swimming pool at my apartment while I washed the boat, pulled them out and let dry. Went multiple years without service and never had any corrosion or bad bearings.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

wildcard

Thank you for the responses fella's. I have done pretty much all of the above at one point over the years or another. Theses reels are taken down every year and completely serviced. The biggest problem we have is that they will free spool fine to begin with, after the drag is set at strike but will start getting to the point that you have to pull the line out while setting your spread. We run 9 to 14 lines depending on the day, running two, three, four lines back at a time without having to sit there and pull it off is very important to me. Other than this drags, bearings and other assorted parts do well through out the season, it's the setting back baits stiffness that I am trying to beat. I was wondering if taking the spray tube on a can of Corrosion X and spraying it into the water drain whole under the handle would help. Does that product or others, creep into area over time? These reels get a serious workout through out our seasons and I have often wondered how they take the strain they do, so I am completely satisfied with them in our day to day fishing.  It's just this one thing that keeps popping up. Thank you for your opinions, Frank

Gfish

Quote from: day0ne on April 14, 2018, 08:35:48 PM
You can over think this. My TLD's went into the swimming pool at my apartment while I washed the boat, pulled them out and let dry. Went multiple years without service and never had any corrosion or bad bearings.
Really?....
Dunked my TLD once, bearings rusted, drag washer was the worst: wouldn't work right 'till I took it apart and cleaned it good.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Does anyone here use Salt Away?
-steve