4:1 gear ratio for a Penn Squidder

Started by reel man, August 31, 2016, 12:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reel man

Many, many moons ago Penn came out with a pinion and main gear that bumped up the gear ratio of the Squidders to 4:1, but after testing ran into some mechanical difficulties on their test reels, so after much deliberation decided to not make these gears available to the public, but some of them got out the door, and would be a great find.

If there were enough interest I'm sure there's a gear cutter out there that could make these.  Don't know what mechanical probs Penn ran into, but whatever the prob was it could be corrected ie - yoke, jack plate?

Maxed Out

Huge thread recently discussed in length on this exact same subject. Perhaps someone can provide the link to that thread.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

You can't make the main gear larger because there is not room.  You can't make the pinion smaller because there would not be enough metal in the wall and it would be weak.  The only other way to bump up the ratio is to change the number of gear teeth, primarily on the pinion.  When you do this the teeth cannot mesh as deeply (they're just catching the edges) and both main and pinion are weakened and susceptible to being stripped.  You can't get there from here without reconfiguring the head plate with a drop-down to make more room.
-steve

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

it may be possible with small teeth, helical cut gears.  I think Shimano went this route allowing multiple teeth contact with smaller teeth to equal the strength of their previous design.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ez2cdave

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 01, 2016, 02:04:41 PM
it may be possible with small teeth, helical cut gears.  I think Shimano went this route allowing multiple teeth contact with smaller teeth to equal the strength of their previous design.

Any more info on this ?

Tight Lines !

xjchad

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 01, 2016, 02:04:41 PM

That seems like it would be pretty costly no?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

MarkT

The Newell 200 series are magnum Squidders minus the plates!  It has the 5:1 gears and Jigmaster sized drags. They were designed as a souped up Squidder from the beginning.  It's no coincidence that the 220/229/235 are the same size as the 146/145/140.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

251 progear  or an Accurate squidder magnum
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mikeysm

The only way is a squidder magnum. I have 4.0 gears. The 5.1 have problems with rubbing.

Mike

xjchad

Alto Mare

Quote from: xjchad on May 01, 2018, 09:32:25 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on September 01, 2016, 09:34:46 AM
There might be a way.

Love to know what you're thinking Sal....  :)
Chad, Bri-Bri gave you the same answer I had :) I wouldn't be worried with smaller teeth on this reel, heat treated gears are extremely tough.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

xjchad

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 02, 2018, 12:27:50 AM
Quote from: xjchad on May 01, 2018, 09:32:25 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on September 01, 2016, 09:34:46 AM
There might be a way.

Love to know what you're thinking Sal....  :)
Chad, Bri-Bri gave you the same answer I had :) I wouldn't be worried with smaller teeth on this reel, heat treated gears are extremely tough.

Sal

Aah, ok!   8)

Brendan

Didn't Newell make a 4:1 at some point? I'm pretty sure I put a set in a reel for a friend forever ago.
Tight lines, Brendan.

Swami805

If they made them Jerry, the original poster, would have mentioned it, very few have the newell history as him. By the way I got an email from Jerry yesterday,still not 100% but getting better. Good Man
Do what you can with that you have where you are