Hi, I'm new here

Started by Acetylcholin99, April 08, 2018, 04:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhale1

Michael,
Welcome aboard, and welcome to my world! I've learned the hard way that you have to be very careful about which metals you can place in a cleaning solution  ???...but thanks to friends here everything worked out okay.
Let us know the reel and model, and someone here will probably be able to help....gotta keep the kids fishing more!!😎
Brett

happyhooker

Welcome, from snowy Minnesota.

Frank

David Hall

Midway Tommy

Quote from: happyhooker on April 10, 2018, 02:40:43 AM

Frank

Frank,
Are you guys ever going to thaw out? You may have to bore holes for the "OPENER".   ;D

Welcome Michael! You've come to a great place to learn a lot.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Hello Michael. Bad luck, man. Looks like it might be one a those Zebco Rhino spincasters. If I's on the mainland I have one that I could send you the parts from. Suggestion: a vintage Zebco 33 from e-bay, if you need to replace it. Lots of them and relatively inexpensive.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Acetylcholin99

Thx a lot for your suggestions.

I have no idea which model it is I tried to find out more about the Zebco RT Series combo especially the material but no luck. It's not a big problem to get a new reel in the combo it's just the fact that it is his first reel and I tried to do a good job and this is what happened. But after that I shouldn't wonder because today it's more about the price and the quantity and not quality...
I teach my son how to use and get familiar with the spincast reel. For him its the best to use and very easy to handle and safer for me  ;D. He is tiny bit too young for the spinning reel... I don't like to have the hook in my face or resolve the birds nest ;)

I was thinking about an old zebco 33 or a Johnson century 100B.

We live in Windsor/Ontario now.

happyhooker

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 10, 2018, 03:10:26 AM
Quote from: happyhooker on April 10, 2018, 02:40:43 AM

Frank

Frank,
Are you guys ever going to thaw out? You may have to bore holes for the "OPENER".   

Snowed hard most of Sunday; got 'er cleaned up to be ready for a possible storm this Sat.  There are no lakes in Minn. that are officially free of ice yet (last year, most were open before the end of March).  Many even in the southern part of the state still  have 2+ feet of ice yet.  Only open water is at a few rivers downstream of dams, altho I would guess the Mississippi is open at a lot of places.

Frank

happyhooker

Quote from: Acetylcholin99 on April 10, 2018, 07:04:42 AM
Thx a lot for your suggestions.

I was thinking about an old zebco 33 or a Johnson century 100B.

You could do at lot worse than a 33 or a 100B.  Get a good unit of the old-style US-made 33 if you go that route, although I have a newer China Classic 33 that ain't too terrible.  The 100B has a fiddly drag (works OK when you figure out how to use it), but you can reel it with either hand and it truly is a historic reel.

Frank

Acetylcholin99

The reel should be in first line for my son. So it has to be  sturdy because at the age of four things fall down from the tiny hands and easy to use. My son doesn't care much about drags it's more the cast which should work in a easy way. In the second line I like to collect old or historical staff just to show how fishing looked like years ago.

happyhooker

The 100B has a metal bell (cone) and body; durability is it's middle name; I'm not as familiar with the 33, but believe the older ones had a metal bell & possibly body as well.  The 100B is smaller sized & might very well appeal to a youngster or person with smaller hands.

Frank