A BIG Royal Maroon plus schematic

Started by festus, April 10, 2018, 01:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I've been waiting patiently for a good deal on one of these Shakespeare 2091.  It finally got here today, not really NIB but UIB (used in box).  Pretty good shape, anyhoo.  

Haven't given it full service yet, but I got rid of some of the cranking stiffness.  The old grease was pretty dried and set up.  Wiped some of that down, didn't help much.  Didn't think I'd ever get the handle backed out. But there is an oil port on the handle side.  After squirting a little Liquid Wrench in there it smoothed out.  I put it back together and will give it a workover in the near future.

Probably been several years since it was fished.  Undoubtedly it had never seen salt water or someone took very good care of it.  They must have been fishing for sturgeon or something very large because this is some of the thickest mono I've ever seen.  Twice the diameter of 50 lb Omni-Flex.

A few days ago I saw in an old post someone was looking for a schematic for this reel.  Couldn't find one online so I scanned this one in the box.

happyhooker

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Nice! Are you gonna change out the drag washers?

Someday I may change from a - too much plastic - Shimano Stratic fj 8000 to onea these. I already relagated my fj 3000 to back-up fora Zebco(Abu) Cardinal 4. Even the circa 1970 Card. - 4 has a little too much plastic for me. Maybe there's a 2091 in my future collection. I really think the plastic (graphite composite?) and nylon is tough stuff on the Abu reels, but I'm just prejudiced I guess.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Great reel Festus, and thanks for the schematic. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: Gfish on April 10, 2018, 03:38:51 AM
Nice! Are you gonna change out the drag washers?

Someday I may change from a - too much plastic - Shimano Stratic fj 8000 to onea these. I already relagated my fj 3000 to back-up fora Zebco(Abu) Cardinal 4. Even the circa 1970 Card. - 4 has a little too much plastic for me. Maybe there's a 2061 in my future collection. I really think the plastic (graphite composite?) and nylon is tough stuff on the Abu reels, but I'm just prejudiced I guess.
I haven't had the reel out of the box again to give it a service.  Will see what shape the ?leather? ones are in first.  I've seen pics of some huge saltwater fish these reels have brought in.

festus

Scored one more of the big 2091, just wanted to have a spare on hand.  Also found a Shakespeare catalog from 1969 on the big auction.  Come to think of it, I believe way back then I got one of these catalogs in the mail when I was 16 years old. 

Most of the fishing rods in here run from about $18 to $45. Not sure if these Shakespeare rods made nowadays are any better than the old ones, at least those that run under 50 bucks. 

thatposhgirl

Thanks for posting the reel schematic. I bought a Shakespeare Sea Wonder 2091 from Goodwill. It's my first reel, and I didn't know a thing about it. The crank was really tight, and the drag was completely stuck. Using that schematic and some YouTube videos I was able to take it apart, clean it, lube it, and put it back together. Now it's spinning very smoothly. Here are some pictures I took along the way.

Shark Hunter

Sweet!
Welcome posh girl. ;D
I had to do a double take. I thought Chester was painting his nails. :D
Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 31, 2018, 02:26:37 AM
Sweet!
Welcome posh girl. ;D
I had to do a double take. I thought Chester was painting his nails. :D

Me too Daron - I almost spit my coffee ;D

Welcome Poshgirl - Chris UK.

happyhooker

Welcome, thatposhgirl, from Minnesota. Looks like you have a "touch" around reels in need of help, and that Shakespeare you got going is sure a fine reel to start with.

Frank

festus

Glad the schematic helped, poshgirl! Just be careful. Those maroon Shakespeares are addictive. I now have two of the 2091, a 2081A, a 2071, four 2062, and two 2052.  Great reels.

thatposhgirl

Quote from: festus on August 01, 2018, 11:23:03 AM
Glad the schematic helped, poshgirl! Just be careful. Those maroon Shakespeares are addictive. I now have two of the 2091, a 2081A, a 2071, four 2062, and two 2052.  Great reels.

You're not kidding. I'm already keeping my eye out for another one. I've never even been fishing (going for my first fishing trip in a couple of weeks.)

swill88

Thatposhgirl, you're a brave one to open up that spinner so soon.  Tip of the hat...

steve

thorhammer

Quote from: swill88 on August 01, 2018, 02:12:32 PM
Thatposhgirl, you're a brave one to open up that spinner so soon.  Tip of the hat...

steve

Agree, impressive. Post pics of trip!