Name That PENN BAIL TYPE SPINNING REEL

Started by Wompus Cat, April 13, 2021, 02:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Quote from: Wompus Cat on April 14, 2021, 12:49:59 AM
I KNOW I am prob stretching it here but...

Afraid not. You can get a new black (sticker-less) rotor cup from Mystic, but that's it:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/27N-704.aspx

~A~   :)

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Aiala on April 14, 2021, 01:12:58 PM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on April 14, 2021, 12:49:59 AM
I KNOW I am prob stretching it here but...

Afraid not. You can get a new black (sticker-less) rotor cup from Mystic, but that's it:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/27N-704.aspx

~A~   :)

Again THank You for finding stuff .For some Reason I don't seem to navigate Mystic very well . I dunno maybe it ain't set up for Left handed People.....
I thought the Rotor had a piece missing out of it but apparently is designed that way with the  Small u shape missing out of it

Like I said the Reel other than the beat up look  it is Dang near perfect ,just needs a thorough cleaning .

I could make some stickers but it doesn't make the Reel work any better.

I have plenty of Reels to  redo but this one caught my eye when I got  it in with a (114H) so probably will strip it down and repaint it or maybe polish it out .
The 114H just needed a Free Spool Lever and some missing side plate screws and after Cleaning it all up  is in better shape than any of my others I bought to mod.
I have @ 65 bucks in both Reels including Shipping so  I am a Happy Camper. ;D

Just shows to go even an old Blind Squirrel Finds an Acorn or two now and then.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Aiala

Sounds like you're all set, Mr. Cat. We'd very much like to see a photo when the reel is all done!   ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

oc1

You know, drilling, modifying and painting old spin fishers is a sort of a thing.  If you do a decent job they can fetch a price that makes it worth your while.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oc1 on April 14, 2021, 06:03:21 PM
You know, drilling, modifying and painting old spin fishers is a sort of a thing.  If you do a decent job they can fetch a price that makes it worth your while.

Dang ,I wished I had knowed dat before I got all those Show cases to put all my Reels in .
You can make Money doing this ?
Nahh I am too busy buying and  redoing em to start selling them .

How to become a Millionaire in Reel Collecting you first start out with 10 Million .

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on April 14, 2021, 06:03:21 PM

??? I think "worth your while" has to be a subjective term.  :D I find it difficult to imagine what drilling, modifying, painting, etc., I could do to a spinning reel in a 4 hour period that could get me $200+ over the cost of the reel & materials, shipping, etc. I only have a tendency to work on my own & family's reels for less than min. wage.  ;D     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

quabbin boy 62

looks like a pre 2000 704z (old type bail), i just bought another new one of these, no stickers on the rotor cup. my favorite surf reel by far, just have to recover from an ra attack, and i'm goin! probably not today, we have 4" of snow and it's still coming down hard! tight lines, boys   chuck   

Wompus Cat

Quote from: quabbin boy 62 on April 16, 2021, 01:03:01 PM
looks like a pre 2000 704z (old type bail), i just bought another new one of these, no stickers on the rotor cup. my favorite surf reel by far, just have to recover from an ra attack, and i'm goin! probably not today, we have 4" of snow and it's still coming down hard! tight lines, boys   chuck  

This is kinda of a Dilema dating my Reel as it does weigh more than 21 oz. and is all Metal except for the drag Knob, Has an all Black Rotor,with the Penn made in U.S.A. Double Chrome stripe sticker on Rotor and missing Emblem on the Side Plate .
From everything posted it seems to be a 704Z as shown with Manf. Dates below from MYSTIC . I would think one with all metal and all Black body and Spool would be an Early and the ones with plastic side plate and Gold Blingy Spool the newer . I dunno.
Thanks for all the Response .

quabbin boy 62

i think (not sure) that penn started using the flat paddle handles in the mid 80's, mo at mystic can most likely tell you.