Baby Blue

Started by wailua boy, April 11, 2018, 05:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wailua boy

We picked up this marlin on the inside on the Ono run. We usually release most billfish but occasionally will keep a smaller one, didn't weigh whole fish but fillets came to 150lbs and the poke was delicious.

ReelFishingProblems

Sounds delicious!
I plan on being on big island 29Jun-11Jul. Any tips on what is running then?

Thanks
Nick

Benni3

Very delicious,,,haven't had that in 30years,,,,blue ones very good and my dad didn't like the black ones  ;D

Gman_WC

Very nice. I've had the pleasure to catch and release 80-100# sails and striped marlin in the Sea of Cortez. Big fun on light stand up gear.
We (2 on a panga) caught and released six in one day a few years back.
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

Tightlines667

Well done!  There have been a few Blues showing up here and there.  It's getting to be that time of year.  The air temps are rising, and the water will soon follow suit.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

wailua boy

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on April 11, 2018, 09:22:55 AM
Sounds delicious!
I plan on being on big island 29Jun-11Jul. Any tips on what is running then?

Thanks
Nick

Thats a good time to be out. Hopefully the ahi will be running for you but the billfish(especially blue marlin) action should heat up also. Best of luck on your trip.

wailua boy

Thanks for comments guys. The fish put up a good fight and emptied half spool of a 14/0 on first run. We were hoping for big ono until the first jump.

Rivverrat

Wow! Are you serious ? How heavy of line & drag were you running ? ... Jeff

wailua boy

Yep. It was spooled with 130lb. Come to think, the reel may of not been 100% filled but close to it.