New Member - First Question Please

Started by andrew555, April 12, 2018, 07:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew555

Hi All,
I have been reading a lot of posts on this site and very grateful for Alan and all sharing their knowledge and experiences... so thank you!

I have 10 Avet EXW 50's and want to perform basic maintenance on them.  I found some threads on rebuilds but just want to do a simple maintenance similar to what I did for my smaller Avets (SX, MS and LX's).  I searched and searched but can not find any posts or videos that walk you through the steps for a larger Avet.

Can someone please help me locate the info?  I am sure its here but I just cant find it.

Thanks so much
Andrew

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

If you can do the smaller Avets, you can do your EX50s. They are a simple, elegant design. Remove he handle and two speed button, remove the right side plate, and remove the gears. You'll be able to service the bearings in the drive shaft and the pinion bearing. Put the handle side back together. Then it's time to service the spool bearings and drag washer. Again, it's simple: remove the c-clips on the left side of the spool being careful not to let the tiny springs pop out. The it's a matter of removing the two posts and spring on the shaft. The shaft will come out easily. Put some fast oil in the two spool bearings, and a couple drops of oil in the tiny spring holes on the left edge of the spool, and put the spool back together. Remember to grease the belleville washers and put your reel back together. If you've never done this before it wouldn't hurt to take pictures with your phone at every step. But really, compared to most 50 two speed reels, Avets are a snap. But if you get desperate, call me at 907 789 2448 and I'll talk you through it.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

andrew555

Thank you so much.  The reels are almost brand new, I took off the left cover from the first one and it appeared perfect so I just wiped it down and greased it up and closed it.

I will follow your direction for the following ones...

Thanks again!

Benni3

happyhooker

Welcome, from a place in Minnesota under a blizzard warning.

Frank

Tightlines667

Quote from: happyhooker on April 13, 2018, 01:34:51 AM
Welcome, from a place in Minnesota under a blizzard warning.

Frank

La Nina strikes again.  Straight from winter to summer in MN this year :)

Welcome aboard!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

gstours

Most likely any thing that you need to do or know will be  covered here by friendly folks.   Just ask.  A million of years of accumulated experience is at least waiting to help.   Alan is said to be the Boss.  And a 👍 great one!
   It's just a paragraph away.🐠

andrew555

Amazingly generous sharing of valuable experience by Alan and the rest of the experienced folks here, so thank you on behalf all the inexperienced mechanics visiting this site.  Opening up our prized possessions is a bit nerve racking and knowing all you need to know is something i desire to learn a little bit at a time...  once i get the basics down, i will be interested in optimizing the performance of my reels...

Thanks again!
Andrew

Bill B

Welcome Andrew.....you have the same name as my youngest son.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!