DYI Freespool Lever Improvement

Started by gstours, April 13, 2018, 04:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here is an easy, low cost option to using the factory lever that any one ☝️ can do.  Here's what you need.
  Use acetone or another degreaser, Clean parts, cut w knife after fitting.  Use epoxy on both parts.

gstours

After hard plastic tube w epoxy install (can be done with out removing lever as well!)  rotate reel so the open end is upwards.  Swirl a tiny bit more epoxy in an ice cream cone fashion.  The end will be domed as it settles to set.

gstours

It's a lot more comfortable to use and super easy.   

gstours

For trolling you may not use your freespool lever much, butt in bottom 🐟 fishing this makes you happy.
   You can custom ize however you want.  Any reel can generally improved or refined to suit the user.
Can't wait to hear the critics 🌧.   It's a cheep fix.🕊

El Pescador

Gary!

Great Idea!!!

and it helps keep your manly hands, soft and silky smooth!!!!

Onward to Salmon Season Buddy!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

gstours

Just sharing a good idea mod,  I,m resting up for the harpoon practice as we spaek :-\

Rivverrat

I like it. I was just giving my Baja / US113 a look over recently & noticed some wear from the lever smacking the side plate from being thrown forward... Jeff

steelfish

Quote from: gstours on April 13, 2018, 04:10:38 PM
Here is an easy, low cost option to using the factory lever that any one ☝️ can do.  Here's what you need.
  Use acetone or another degreaser, Clean parts, cut w knife after fitting.  Use epoxy on both parts.

the plastic tube, did you got it from a common household product or you went to a hardware store for that size and thickness?

pretty nice mod, special for those reels with aluminium sideplates or frame that could be suffer from wear from the lever
The Baja Guy

gstours

Yes if you know me it was salvaged from something aerosol probably .  The tube fit on tight with a press fit.   Try to find hard wall tubing.   Maybe air line tube, at a hardware store.  Its commonly used for air controls for stuff and cheap.
   Some reels now sport O-rings over the lever and that would add some cushion.   I just wanted something larger than the stock part without having to spend 30$ .  My reels get fished. :o

Rivverrat

You may have to replace it more often but rubber fuel line will work also. Available from any auto parts store... Jeff

Gfish

Great idea Geary! I've been foolin around with rubber hose, O-rings, etc., couldn't get stuff to stick to the chromed brass. Now ta find some plastic witha right i.d.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 14, 2018, 05:54:45 PM
You may have tp replace it more often but rubber fuel line will work also. Available from any auto parts store... Jeff

maybe those fish tank air pump pipes could fit too.
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Quote from: steelfish on April 14, 2018, 06:18:19 PM
Quote from: Rivverrat on April 14, 2018, 05:54:45 PM
You may have tp replace it more often but rubber fuel line will work also. Available from any auto parts store... Jeff

maybe those fish tank air pump pipes could fit too.

For sure if you can find the right diameter.

Tiddlerbasher