My first Senator

Started by festus, April 13, 2018, 08:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Quote from: mo65 on April 14, 2018, 01:38:16 AM
Quote from: festus on April 14, 2018, 01:18:47 AM
The Penn schematic lists the a/r dog as part no 15-113h.

I think maybe you were viewing the 113H schematic Festus...I double checked and the old 4/0 schematic calls for the #15-99. Here's a link to the schematic:

https://www.mysticaprts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/113.pdf

You're right.  That looks more like it, but I still haven't figured out whether that spring washer I posted a picture of in an earlier post belongs inside the reel or on the outside under the star drag.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

mo65

Quote from: festus on April 14, 2018, 02:10:24 AM
I still haven't figured out whether that spring washer I posted a picture of in an earlier post belongs inside the reel or on the outside under the star drag.

It goes on the outside of many of the smaller Senators. If there is room, it can be moved to the inside, but you'll know real fast if there's not room, it will scrape the side plate when turned.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gman_WC

Quote from: festus on April 13, 2018, 11:08:48 PM
BTW, what typical fishing situation is a 4/0 Senator used for in saltwater?

The 113 4/0 black Senator has a lower 2-1 gear ratio -  113h Red 4/0's 3:25-gearing.
When I first started salmon trolling many years ago, it was the cat's meow for cranking up that 2.5# ball all day.
I guess you could use it for river monster cat fish also.
Clean it up and use it. With fresh drags and a ss gear sleeve, the lower gearing sure helps.

-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

Alto Mare

Hello Chester, nice start on the Senator!  watch out, it's all downhill from here .
The reel is a little slow, but has its place. When you do get tired of it down the line, try some of these modifications   :
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9979.msg93421#msg93421
The 149 main gear and 49 pinion are a little faster and actually smoother on this one.

Enjoy it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Note to self: Post Office closes at 10:30am on Saturday. Sheesh...and I showed up at 10:40...is there no justice?? :D I'll get the posts and dog out Monday Festus.
   I was thinking about what you said about the 4/0 not being a good choice for your style of fishing and I agree...as I fish similar situations as you. There's just not much sense in packing around several hundred yards of line that will never get wet. Now that you're into the Senators you'll find the 1/0 and the 2/0 are much better choices for catfishing on rivers. Properly set up, they have all the power of the old black 4/0 in a much more manageable package. Be that as it may...I still bet you'll be just like me...eyeballing 10/0s on fleabay! 8)

Keta

Quote from: festus on April 14, 2018, 02:10:24 AM
Quote from: mo65 on April 14, 2018, 01:38:16 AM
Quote from: festus on April 14, 2018, 01:18:47 AM
The Penn schematic lists the a/r dog as part no 15-113h.

I think maybe you were viewing the 113H schematic Festus...I double checked and the old 4/0 schematic calls for the #15-99. Here's a link to the schematic:

http://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/113.pdf

You're right.  That looks more like it, but I still haven't figured out whether that spring washer I posted a picture of in an earlier post belongs inside the reel or on the outside under the star drag.

A 15-309 will work if you can not find 15-99 dogs.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 14, 2018, 05:01:04 AM
Hello Chester, nice start on the Senator!  watch out, it's all downhill from here .
The reel is a little slow, but has its place. When you do get tired of it down the line, try some of these modifications   :
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9979.msg93421#msg93421
The 149 main gear and 49 pinion are a little faster and actually smoother on this one.

Enjoy it!

Sal

Dang it Sal, i just went through all four 113's in the winter to get them up to snuff and now Imma have to tear down two clunker Mariners and speed up a 4/0....nice bit of intel...

festus

Quote from: mo65 on April 14, 2018, 03:49:51 PM
   Note to self: Post Office closes at 10:30am on Saturday. Sheesh...and I showed up at 10:40...is there no justice?? :D I'll get the posts and dog out Monday Festus.
   I was thinking about what you said about the 4/0 not being a good choice for your style of fishing and I agree...as I fish similar situations as you. There's just not much sense in packing around several hundred yards of line that will never get wet. Now that you're into the Senators you'll find the 1/0 and the 2/0 are much better choices for catfishing on rivers. Properly set up, they have all the power of the old black 4/0 in a much more manageable package. Be that as it may...I still bet you'll be just like me...eyeballing 10/0s on fleabay! 8)

That's fine, Mike, I bagged up the cleaned Senator parts and didn't plan on reassembling it for a few days.  Even if I don't use the 4/0 for fishing much I'm still going to keep it so I'll have a Senator in my collection.  Got a Long Beach 68 I really don't have any use for.   It can't be very old, but it's still U.S. made but I don't care much for the flat rubber type handle.

My wife and me plus our youngest granddaughter traveled to the next border county to the west into the Central Time Zone this morning and learned also it's the dead zone for AT&T Uverse service.  ??? I had planned on bidding on a parts reel for another Penn, and my tablet, my wife's iPad and her cell phone wouldn't pick up any signal so I missed it.  :'( This was so far out in the country they're lucky to have land line phones and satellite tv.  ::)

mo65

Quote from: festus on April 14, 2018, 11:02:21 PM
  Even if I don't use the 4/0 for fishing much I'm still going to keep it so I'll have a Senator in my collection. 

Absolutely, some of my favorite reels are ones I'd never fish. I've got a 9/0 first year Senator, not the kind of reel you see around these parts everyday. Any one who sees it says the same thing...as they sit and turn the handle..."What do you do with this thing?" I answer "Same thing you're doing with it". Here it is beside a Beachmaster 160. 8)

Army_of_One

Quote from: mo65 on April 15, 2018, 01:27:19 AM
Quote from: festus on April 14, 2018, 11:02:21 PM
  Even if I don't use the 4/0 for fishing much I'm still going to keep it so I'll have a Senator in my collection. 

Absolutely, some of my favorite reels are ones I'd never fish. I've got a 9/0 first year Senator, not the kind of reel you see around these parts everyday. Any one who sees it says the same thing...as they sit and turn the handle..."What do you do with this thing?" I answer "Same thing you're doing with it". Here it is beside a Beachmaster 160. 8)
That sure is a pretty fidget spinner!  I've never seen the bushing in the Penn wrench shape. 
Another day in Paradise!

festus

I want to thank Mike Shaver for the a/r dog and posts for this Senator.  Dog worked perfectly, Mike, but the dog spring that came with the reel didn't.  No problem.  I robbed an old 209 parts reel of a spring and this is the result.  The frame posts you sent were in great shape.

Maybe this reel will get fished one day, not sure it'll be here in Tennessee, however.  Would be good for fishing deep water in some of these East Tennessee lakes with whole live shad or big cuts of skipjack herring.  Also maybe fishing the wall of the steam plant with some huge baits. 

mo65

That ol' reel looks great man! Just like you, I have 4/0s and a 6/0 slicked up and ready to rock. It's not unheard of...I know guys who catfish LB 68s, 4/0s, and 113Hs. For dropping lines off the boat they rock...but for casting I like a more manageable rig. At any rate, if you ever fish the salt, she'll be ready. 8)