BACK FROM BAJA - SAN JOSE DEL CABO

Started by Dominick, April 13, 2018, 11:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Hi AT members.  Here is a short report from a quick trip to Los Cabos.  I flew down on April 3 and returned April 10.  This a short report because I was only able to get one day of fishing.  I took my wife, Linda, daughter Lisa and two of my granddaughters, Sophie and Olivia.  I took them out on a cruiser on Friday April 6th.  Although it had been very windy Friday turned out to be a cool clear day with very little wind.  I was warned ahead of time that the fishing was slow and there were no tuna around but we had a shot at dorado, wahoo, grouper and snapper.  The prediction proved to be accurate, the fishing was slow.  At around 9:30 a.m. the captain told us to bring in the lines and he took off northeast of Punta Gorda.  We arrived at a fleet of boats.  The water was teeming with newly hatched langostino.  All the boats were scooping up nets full of these small lobsters which were about 1 1/2 inches long and about 1 inch wide and bright red.  While this scooping was going we baited our hooks with the lobsters and let them drift.  Then all of a sudden the water started to boil with schools of red snapper feeding on the lobster.  It was quite exciting to see.  I was so in awe of the scene that I did not take out my camera for a video (I only thought of it later).  We ended up with 1 amberjack, and 4 snapper.  We all managed to bring in one fish except for the youngest (Olivia) as she was slightly seasick.  After a while Sophie became a little queasy.  We called it quits around noon so that we could get the kids back on land.  Despite the motion sickness both kids said they had a good time.  Here are some photos of us and the fish.  The photos of the kids show their unease.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

Here are a few more photos.  My wife on a fish and the fish as we brought them to the cutting table.  The chef at the hotel deep fried the two small snappers (not really snapper) for dinner and grilled the filet of the big snapper.  The rest of the fish I gave to the guys at the hotel.  I hope Alex chimes in on what the name of the small red fish are called.  (cocosomething)  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Sounds like a you and the family had a good time.
Looks okay for a slow day, a danged sure better than being skunked.
I hope the rest of the vacation was filled with rest-n-relaxation.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Alto Mare

Bella famiglia, Dominick ;)! I'm glad you got to spend some quality time with your girls.
Loved seeing Linda with The Tank...great photo of the month...

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

great trip Dominick, nothing beats going out with the family, its the only way the know all the danger, problems and bad times that us (fishermen) have to go through to bring some fish to the table, its not a easy job but you know what they say, a man have to do what a man have to do.
The Baja Guy

MarkT

Good times! Wow, the conditions looked flat and glassy. If they were not feeling well I guess they'll have to specialize in laying by the pool.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

Looks like fun getting some time with the family.Nice shot of the iguana on the palm too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

Quote from: steelfish on April 14, 2018, 12:03:03 AM
great trip Dominick, nothing beats going out with the family, its the only way the know all the danger, problems and bad times that us (fishermen) have to go through to bring some fish to the table, its not a easy job but you know what they say, a man have to do what a man have to do.
Yep Alex it tough going.  :D  I just got out and faced it.   ;D  Please take a look at the small red fish and tell me the name of them.  Don't say Pablo and Jose either.  ;D  Dominick

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Fishy247

I was thinking goatfish, perhaps?

Looks like it was a nice day on Lake Pacific nonetheless!

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on April 14, 2018, 07:17:35 PM
 ;D  Please take a look at the small red fish and tell me the name of them.  Don't say Pablo and Jose either.  ;D  Dominick

... maybe Juan or Pedro?  ;D ;D

I really cannot identify them, looks like sort of local reef fish with similar colors to some pargos.
they might be some pargo family fish whe juvenile.
The Baja Guy

Gfish

Very nice pictures Dominik. Them little redish-orange guys got snapper family-like teeth...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

David Hall