BACK FROM BAJA - SAN JOSE DEL CABO

Started by Dominick, April 13, 2018, 11:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Nice report Dominick.  Memorable too.

Alex, I have to know about catching the small red langustinos.  Any idea?
-steve

Shark Hunter

Dominick,
I just saw this post.
Congrats on your trip. I'm sure you showed your grandkids a good time.
I just got back from one similar, just not as extravagant.
My 7 year old Grandson has talked about Shark Fishing with me for the past two years.
Just as we were headed out to the Beach, He said it was too cold and he wasn't going. ::)
The next night, He made it out, but when we dropped baits, he was upset he didn't have his own reel and went right back to the condo. :P
The kid might weigh 60lbs. My 14/0 spooled and ready is 1/3 of his body weight.
I did the best I could. That is all you can do.
It is Vacation, with a little fishing mixed in.
Life is Good. ;)
Life is Good!

steelfish

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 18, 2018, 07:15:58 AM
The next night, He made it out, but when we dropped baits, he was upset he didn't have his own reel and went right back to the condo. :P

when I was really into surf fishing my kids started to go along with me but same thing happened so I bought them 2 cheapo $12 rigs from wally world (way back) to each kiddo and that put them 1/0 hooks with bait to catch small creatures and have them internained, it worked really good.
many times they outfished me and they were proud the whole week to had won to his daddy.
The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

My Wife wanted me to do the same thing Alex.
When Shark fishing, There will be lines 100 to 400 yards out.
They will just tangle them.
They are too young still to understand, the world doesn't revolve around them.
I was definitely going to let them help, just not with the catch and release part.
Life is Good!

gstours

Thanks for the report and pictures on a great family outing.  It sure looked like fun and nice weather.   And if I might say Linda wearing a nice dress and cranking the Tank is waay cool 😎.   It was a good day, and you caught your dinner.    Its always hit or miss.   You did good.👍

jurelometer

Quote from: oc1 on April 18, 2018, 06:40:12 AM
Nice report Dominick.  Memorable too.

Alex, I have to know about catching the small red langustinos.  Any idea?
-steve
Not Alex but:

Pleuroncodes planipes - English common name is Pelagic Red Crab.    Eastern Pacific only.   

https://scripps.ucsd.edu/zooplanktonguide/species/pleuroncodes-planipes

On El Nino years they are all over the place on the Pacific side of Baja.   They show up in the Gulf of California as well, but I think  less frequently.   Always in big swarms.

On the Pacific side,  especially during warm water events,  they  will invade an area.  They will come all the way up to the surface and be everywhere.   You can catch them by using your cap as a dip net :)    The sportfishing problem with a pelagic crab "event" is that the yellowtail, dorado, tuna, etc.   get plugged with them and lose their appetite.   The crabs are an easy and abundant prey, but because of the hard shells, they don't digest quickly.

On the other hand,  The pacific red snapper (huachinago-  Lutjanus peru)  go nuts over live red crabs.    Now is the hot season for huachinango in Baja.

josa1

Hi Dominick,

Great report and I just love the pictures.  The water looked beautiful and you certainly had great fellow fisherman!

Thanks!

josa1

swill88

Quote from: jurelometer on April 21, 2018, 04:51:14 PM

Pleuroncodes planipes - English common name is Pelagic Red Crab.    Eastern Pacific only.   

https://scripps.ucsd.edu/zooplanktonguide/species/pleuroncodes-planipes

On El Nino years they are all over the place on the Pacific side of Baja.   They show up in the Gulf of California as well, but I think  less frequently.   Always in big swarms.

On the Pacific side,  especially during warm water events,  they  will invade an area.  They will come all the way up to the surface and be everywhere.   You can catch them by using your cap as a dip net :)    The sportfishing problem with a pelagic crab "event" is that the yellowtail, dorado, tuna, etc.   get plugged with them and lose their appetite.   The crabs are an easy and abundant prey, but because of the hard shells, they don't digest quickly.

On the other hand,  The pacific red snapper (huachinago-  Lutjanus peru)  go nuts over live red crabs.    Now is the hot season for huachinango in Baja.

The red crabs washed up live on county beaches north of San Francisco last year.  Scientists from UC Davis were collecting them for study.

steve

Dominick

Thanks for that Jurelometer.  That is exactly the crustacean teeming in the water.  That is the second time I saw that.  It was fun and exciting seeing the red snapper slashing through the water feeding on the red crabs.  The locals call them langostilla (Spanish for small lobster).  I think they look more like lobster than a crab so maybe that's why the locals use that name.  Interesting stuff.  Thanks again.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Great report Dominick.....good to see you getting out with the daughter and grandkids......the picture of Linda immediately brought pictures of Martha Henze to mind, but Martha never had the privilege of fishing the Tank....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!