Shark Rod

Started by mikeysm, April 14, 2018, 08:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

Adam are you up to building a Shark Rod for me. I ordered a United Composite CX Gladiator 7'6" blank.  I want to build a shark rod around this blank.

Mike

Rivverrat

I love UC's Blanks. However have you pulled on a Gladiator ?  Will you be using it from a boat ?

I cannot stress enough that this is a beast of a rod. I've plucked over 50 lbs. off the floor with one. Many big fellas find it hard to keep this rod loaded... Jeff

mikeysm

It will be for shore fishing not from a boat.

Mike

Rivverrat

I like to see & hear from people that are happy with their gear.  
Take this for what ever its worth... In lite of the other blanks that UC makes....
I believe any person using this rod from the beach & happy with the choice after hooking what its capable of is one  rare individual.
This blank wss designed as a rail rod. Better UC Blanks for use with a harness.

I'm fully aware Barrets wraps this blank & that others reccomend it for sharks from the beach.

I've never met you, have no idea of what your physically capable of. I could be very wrong in giving you this advice.
However I am familiar with this rod & know of the whooping it can put not  only on fish but the fellas that  use it.

Any one who needs or can make use of 45 lbs. or more drag using a harness this could be a good rod.

40 lbs. of drag & below from land there are some othet UC Blanks I personally would choose over the Gladiator.

Just some tboughts & again I might be wrong with none of this applying to you... Jeff

mikeysm

Well I am going to need someone to team with to land a big shark. I have three other united composite rods and like them all.  Fishing is a way to share a good time with a few friends.

Mike

Rivverrat

OK your familiar with UC Rods... Great !

mikeysm

I will match up the rod with the 20/0 rely I am building.

Mike

Adams Khanh

Msg me  via phone 4085208889

mikeysm

I just received the United composites gladiator rod blank. What a beast this rod blank is. It's at the top of the food chain for rods.

Mike

Rivverrat

It is truly one of a kind... Jeff

Rivverrat

I'm 200 lbs. above average strength for my size it took a lot for me to find the bottom on that rod with out a harness. No way I could have held there with out a harness for any length of time... Jeff

mikeysm

I am trying to decide what size of alps reel seat to buy for my rod blank.

Mike

Rivverrat

I would recommend an Alps Centra Lock. You will need at least a size 26... Jeff

mikeysm

I decided on Everol roller guides. It seems it is hard to find heavy enough roller guides to handle the job. If you do they will be on back order forever. So if I have to wait it might as well be what I want. They tell you everything is on a ball bearing. All the other companies are using coated bushings. Some don't say anything so you are not sure what your getting. Also they fall short of telling you if they will handle a 130lb class rod or better. These ship direct from everol in Italy. If I cant get what I need here I will go elseware.

Mike

Rivverrat

Mike I sure hope we see some pics of this rod when finished. But more than anything some pictures of it being fished. I honestly do hope you enjoy this rod & are able to bring to beach what it's capable of... Jeff