Shakespeare 2052/2062

Started by JNG3, April 15, 2018, 02:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JNG3

Just acquired a NIB 2062da and mint condition with box/papers 2052dc. Normally my google  search abilities would net me hours of reading but I can't seem to find much information on them. Seems like most folks don't collect them or are even interested in them. Can anyone shed any light on these two reels? Thanks.

Midway Tommy

The "D" marked reels were Shakespeare's last series' of USA made reels. They are post 1970. The letters indicate the latest change in manufacturing process for that specific model, i.e DA = 1970, DC = 1978. It does not necessarily indicate the year of manufacture, and interestingly, Shakespeare discontinued both the 2052 & 2062 "D" series reels in 1977. It is thought that the few "DC" marked reels had their sideplates made for the next year and just prior to the discontinuation of the "Royal Maroon" series. Most reel parts were made at least a year prior to model distribution. All "D" series reels were manufactured in the Fayetteville, Arkansas.   

There is a lot of various Shakespeare spinning reel information here under "Spinning Reels": http://alantani.com/index.php?board=32.0 or
"Shakespeare": http://alantani.com/index.php?board=122.0
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Glad to see another Shakespeare Royal Maroon collector out there, welcome aboard.  These reels are very worthy of collecting, but no, they haven't caught on yet.   Growing up in the 1960s they were the first Shakespeare spinning reels I can remember. In the last few months I've acquired a couple of 2052, one 2062, and also their biggest, the 2091.

They remind me quite a bit of the Penn greenies.  Also Pflueger made a reel identical to the 2052 and 2062 but grey in color and I cant recall the name right now.

If you haven't seen this already here are codes on determining the date of these Shakespeares.

JNG3

Thanks! The 2062 is a little larger than my current needs but the 2052 should be about perfect. Does the plastic spool on the 2052 pose any problems? I know the Cardinal C3 spool sometimes is known to fall apart when used with mono.

mo65

Quote from: JNG3 on April 15, 2018, 12:35:32 PM
Thanks! The 2062 is a little larger than my current needs but the 2052 should be about perfect. Does the plastic spool on the 2052 pose any problems? I know the Cardinal C3 spool sometimes is known to fall apart when used with mono.

I can't verify this, matter of fact I can't even recall where I heard it.  I read somewhere that the 2052 spools are made of Delrin, a very tough "plastic" used in many fishing reels parts. Honestly, I can't imagine anyone wrapping mono on these tiny spools tight enough to bust one...why would ya do such a thing? In just my personal experience, I've had no problems. These reels are a joy to use and service. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Soa 2062 that has a tiny "EG" down near the bottom a the gear box was it a 1964 year model? Also, Mine hada big:"NL" right below the 2062 model number. Which number is what? I didn't think the maroon's were thaaat old.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on April 15, 2018, 05:42:44 PM
Soa 2062 that has a tiny "EG" down near the bottom a the gear box was a 1964 year model? Mine hada "NL" right below the 2062 model number. Which is what? I didn't think the maroon's were thaaat old.

Yes, but not the year in which it was made. The 2062 first version with the two piece handle came out in '63 and was discontinued in '69. There were also minor changes made to that version between '63 & 69', like plastic spools, etc. In 1970 they were cheapened and the handle was changed to the one piece fold down handle. Those are the ones with a first letter "D".

The reels originally came new spooled with line, 8lb I think. NL on the reel or box meant "No Line". NL2 meant two spools with "No Line".

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy link=topic=25083.msg282284#msg282284The reels originally came new spooled with line, 8lb I think. NL on the reel or box meant "No Line". NL2 meant two spools with "No Line".

Thanks for that little tidbid Tommy, you clear up a lot of questions with your reel knowledge. I'm glad you hang out with us here, I learn a lot by listening to your comments. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Thanks, Mike! I enjoying sharing the limited amount of knowledge I have about spinning reels. There's a lot more about them out there for me to uncover.  ;) God knows, though, I know little to nothing about conventional reels.  :D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Corroded

Just watched a YouTube video of a guy that modified one of these reels. Does anyone know if this has both stainless steel main gear and pinion gears?