Sigma

Started by sharkman, April 16, 2018, 08:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

What does Sigma mean on the Ugly Stik rods?  I also see Sigma on some older reels.

Shark Hunter

It was just a matching product line. Rods, Reels, Line, Hats and Shirts.
Life is Good!

sharkman

Thanks SharkHunter

Gfish

I thought "ugly stick" was a product line? They always godda confuse guys like me by makin stuff extra complicated. I got Ugly Stick:"Big water"and "Tiger"rods, now that I think of it. Makin a mountain odda a mole-hill by givin stuff extra names, maybe a bigger profit too. Nothin wrong with: Shakespeare Tiger rods...
Sigma's a Greek alphabet letter used alot in math n' physics, etc. and probably sounds cool and professional when it comes to product lines or fraternities/sororities, etc.,etc.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

Going back 20 years or more, Shakespeare had their Alpha line, which I think was lower end than Sigma. The Sigma reels were actually pretty good, MIJ, metal body and bearing'd reels. We used to use Sigma line exclusively fishing behind local dam where long casts and break offs were the order of the day. It cast and looked exactly like Stren original clear blue fluorescent, but much cheaper. I think K-Mart may have branded it USA-1 for in-house as well... if there was any difference i couldn't tell. Logically, if you had Alpha, you might have Omega at the other end, not Sigma, but in that time period Zebco Omega was out so maybe copyright infringement in play there....who knows...

John