ebay bidding question

Started by Swami805, April 17, 2018, 02:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

On some items when you look at bid history there's some that say "private listing-bidders identity protected". To me it means "no way Jose you're not outbidding this guy" Anyone know what the deal is with that? Doesn't seem to matter what you bid, the bid will be higher from the private listing.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oldmanjoe

They don`t scare me , I`ll put my comfortable bid in .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shark Hunter

A few years ago, you could see the full name of who out bid you.
The identity now is already protected and you can't see all the bidders full names.
I think it is just a practice gone by. It means nothing to me.
Life is Good!

David Hall

Some people me included use a proxy bidding service. There's a few of them around you pay a small fee and they set up an auto bid for you.  You just plug in your max price you're willing to pay and the proxy bids for you until the bid surpasses your maximum.  If it doesn't pass your maximum you win for the lowest qualifying bid that exceeds other bidders.  I can't tell you how many times I pulled my hair out losing by a dollar.  Then I figured out what was going on.  It's legit, it's fair and it's smart.  Check it out you will like it.

Maxed Out

When I list an item on eBay I can opt to keep bidders private. It's simply for the protection of the privacy of any bidders. 

I never let any bidder scare me away from bidding..... I like to think I'm the guy that scares others off, but in reality I get stomped on a lot on eBay.,... I don't take it personally, I just patiently wait for another to come along

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Sheridan, as Ted said, when you see every bidder listed as "private" on an auction item, that means that the seller has exercised the option to conceal any information about the bidder.  It doesn't have anything to do with the bidder.

1badf350

Quote from: David Hall on April 17, 2018, 05:39:41 AM
Some people me included use a proxy bidding service. There's a few of them around you pay a small fee and they set up an auto bid for you.  You just plug in your max price you're willing to pay and the proxy bids for you until the bid surpasses your maximum.  If it doesn't pass your maximum you win for the lowest qualifying bid that exceeds other bidders.  I can't tell you how many times I pulled my hair out losing by a dollar.  Then I figured out what was going on.  It's legit, it's fair and it's smart.  Check it out you will like it.
Ebay does this for you.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Swami805

Thanks guys, was wondering if there was a top end of how far those bids would go up. Does seen like a good idea.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sdlehr

Quote from: 1badf350 on April 17, 2018, 10:31:03 AM
Quote from: David Hall on April 17, 2018, 05:39:41 AM
Ebay does this for you.
Yeah, but not in the last few seconds unless you're sitting at the computer at the end of the auction....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

1badf350

Yes it will automatically up my bid in the last few seconds to whatever my max bid is. If someone's sniping program throws a hail mary over the top bid that exceeds my max bid at the end, i dont care. But the bidding software does not know where my high end is.  The only real problem with is people will bid 10+ times in a row, running up the price to try and get to my high bid.
My ebay max bid placed three days before the auction will always trump your bidding program last second bid as long as your bid doesn't exceed my Ebay bid. Obviously if your bid is higher than the max I was willing to go, you will win.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

oldmanjoe

:)     It`s a game .   Just because you got beat by a dollar does`t mean that you lost by a dollar , your max cap might be 30.00 the other guy might have been max cap at 50.00  .       You lost by the next increment .       Than theirs shipping  fee you have to look at ,   For me any thing from the north west is 15-20 to ship verse 6-7 in Fl  
That`s 6-10 less i am willing  to put on the reel it self , because i still have to look at  the to the door price .        Patience , patience you just have to wait your turn ....joe  
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

If there's something I really want but don't want to overpay, or even pay the going price, I make sure I'm at the computer and try to snipe the snipe with 2 seconds left. It's worked a lot of times, but I've also had a couple of times where too much traffic hasn't allowed my bid through. No big deal, though, another similar item will eventually show up. The only thing that really bugs me is when I try to get too cute, get locked out and the item went cheap.  >:( Those are the times I kick myself for not bidding earlier.  ;D 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

I just bid one time with the maximum I'm willing to pay.  Sometimes I'm glad to win and sometimes glad to loose.
-steve

Gobi King

sometimes listing dudes will have their family and friends bid it up.
I think ebay allow you to see if this person has bid on the seller's items before, so careful in going into a bidding war
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

festus

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 17, 2018, 07:23:22 PM
....... I've also had a couple of times where too much traffic hasn't allowed my bid through. No big deal, though, another similar item will eventually show up. The only thing that really bugs me is when I try to get too cute, get locked out and the item went cheap.  >:( Those are the times I kick myself for not bidding earlier.  ;D 
I had that happen to me once last week, I tried bidding with 11 seconds left and my bid didn't go through.  If it had, I would've won.   ::)  Made up for that, however, got a much better deal about 3 days later on a similar reel.