A new star ⭐️ is born

Started by gstours, April 17, 2018, 04:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

This is another segment post about how a person could have what they wanted if they were willing to work for it.   Mr. Rothmar overseas started me thinking 🤔.   Thanks to his Jigmaster posting of his great work I got in my shop and made this penn 113h Sal /Adam clone drag star 🌟.
  I,m hoping to share the how/to using simple tools following soon.🤦‍♀️

gstours

Of course you are suspect that this is not from your store.   As it's a hybrid and built for racing as you follow the post you may see the beauty.   Oar not.    The plate is aluminum alloy 5086 AL.  It's a piece. Of leftover scrap from my aluminum boat hull that's made it's special for me.   
   The star was band sawed from this piece.     it's .250 thickness seemed good.

gstours

As I could not tap the hole and felt that the aluminum threads would not be as good as the penn brass the factory star was sacrificed for the threaded parts.  An arbor was made for the holesaw pilot bit as shown.
   Simple clamp methods and a drill press was used with motor oil lube.

gstours

A rotary table set in a cross feed vice was again paying back the small cost.  A 3/8 inch end mill cut a new flat floor for the brass insert quite easily.    The fit is flush with the outside part of the ⭐️ Star.  Crank arm side.

gstours

This is part 1. Stay tuned for more.  Just go fishing 🎣

David Hall

I did go fishing just last weekend, caught three shaker salmon and 800 jellyfish.  There's no limit on them!
But all systems worked 100%, caught all three fish on my hand tied rig. The greased drags on the canon downriggers worked flawlessly, just set my rod in the holder and flip it to freespool, slightly loosen the drag on the downrigger and smooth as butter descent to the desired depth then tighten the knob.  It was a really nice day, windy and choppy with a decent swell so I was a bit more on the tired side by nightfall.  Still beat the heck out of working!

Oh and sweet job on the star, how did you make the insert fit?  Just press fit or heat and cold like a motorcycle case bearing?

mhc

Nice work Gary, I like the idea of aluminium for lightness and stronger brass for the threads. I'm looking forward to part 2.

Quote from: gstours on April 17, 2018, 04:02:51 AM
This is another segment post about how a person could have what they wanted if they were willing to work for it.   Mr. Rothmar overseas started me thinking 🤔.   Thanks to his Jigmaster posting of his great work I got in my shop and made this penn 113h Sal /Adam clone drag star 🌟.
  I,m hoping to share the how/to using simple tools following soon.🤦‍♀️

x 2 - Chris's (Rothmar2) work has inspired more than a few of us to have a go at making our own parts.

Mike  
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

gstours

More on the star, new day, nice sunrise 🌅 and 20 degrees out.  Our district is closed for king Salmon and may not open.   So I got some waiting to do.   So.....
I started this star project during the winter as it's a time consuming worth less thing to do,  butt kept me focused on fishing.
    Eventually I need a better star ⭐️ for my 114h tig narrow, and thoughts were to practice on the 113 first as they're common and I had several spares.  I,m not out much if it's a failure.🤦‍♀️
  The brass 113 star shown insert was fitted to be flush by using an end mill.  Epoxy rivet divots were 1/16 common drill bit added.  Later JB Weld would be used in the assembly.

gstours

The inner side was next for material removal.  The part was clamped down and a 4" hand held grinding wheel was used to rough out , and smooth out the rough marks by changing disks.

gstours

The 5 holes shown will be used to hold tapped 5-40 brass screws that were surplus.  This was my best seemingly available way to hold the thing together.   Epoxy was used in the screw assembly and care was taken in finishing as to not overheat them.   

gstours

A side profile,  proceed right?

gstours

The part seemed very light weight. After removing a lot of material.  Encouraging.🙏

gstours

A 48 inch belt grinder w 60 80 and 120 grit belts were used for most of the hand work.

thorhammer

Gary, sweet work....I just bought a Newell 220 with a broken graphite star with brass insert...that would've made a great candidate for this....

I bleeve have a 114H star with a little rash you are welcome to if you want it to mess with. PM your address.

John

STRIPER LOU

Looks good Gary. That's pretty much the same thing I'm doing here,  .....   if I ever get a chance to finish it.

Got a different style in the works too.

Keep experimenting Bud! 

Nice work,  ..  Lou