A new star ⭐️ is born

Started by gstours, April 17, 2018, 04:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

One side has to be flush to fit with no extra unneeded room to fit against the crank arm.  The other side the space tube can fit in the extra clearance provided.  I wish the gear sleeve was 3/16"longer for this type of application.

gstours

This is not perfect and is a learning process to later improvement.  Butt it will be tested first on my ugly duckling 🐥 tank. 

gstours

I wish I had the means to do the tapping of the 114h size/gauge threads.  Butt aluminum is easily worked by hand compared to stainless or titanium so maybe I will have to try to be happy with what I can do.
   Brass 🌟 stars seem to have no thread failure issues I'm aware of.  I,m not done yet.
More on this soon.   Thanks for watching.   Lets go fishing 🎣

gstours

This last picture is the best improvement of the factory star I've seen and used.  It's just perfect 👌 yet unobtainable.  Machine costs seem too high to make it affordable or profitable.   Hey china 🇨🇳 here's a job to keep you busy?🌍🙈🤷‍♂️🤔

xjchad

Love the idea and execution Gary!  Nice work!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Dominick

Gary, you are a genius and master at fabrication.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

Wow, that's beautiful Gary.  Really nice work.
-steve

Swami805

That's some skill there, really nice work.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

gstours

I,m sure most of you when you were younger had the same hormones activated.  🤔Lots of desire and little skill.🙈
    Desire is the first part,  it could be in your grasp.🤦‍♀️
   Below is the new 3inch hybrid star on a reel that's full of lube and desire.

gstours

This was a lot of work.  Butt after doing this one,  I,m thinking 🤔 of doing a 6/0 as that reel needs an upgrade.
   This time the the screws will be doubled for more insurance.   I have more time than money  💴
Time will tell if this is worth it as a project.   Just call it funky, or worse yet, home made for now. Thanks 🙏

xjchad

Quote from: gstours on April 18, 2018, 02:36:03 PM
I,m sure most of you when you were younger had the same hormones activated.  🤔Lots of desire and little skill.🙈
   Desire is the first part,  it could be in your grasp.🤦‍♀️
  Below is the new 3inch hybrid star on a reel that's full of lube and desire.

This is the first fishing reel post that made me blush  :o

Again, great work Gary!  
Thanks for the great "outside the box" ideas!

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Donnyboat

Nice work Gary thanks for showing, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

Gary I do know you have lots of desire, but I'm not so sure about the very little skill part. :-\

You were determined and got one done for yourself, nothing can stop you.
This isn't about how much time is involved or how difficult it is, this is about getting it done and you sure did.

Great job buddy!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

Thanks Sal,  this is the most important part of this Alan Tani Forum, it's sharing info and pictures and thoughts, and it's ok to have questions and think negative.   I,m glad to share,  and yes I,m a fool.  Butt that's ok too.
   The drag star is only the most recent example of how much time I've wasted in my life.   Many of my friends are dead, or zombies.   
  We are a big family here,  there are many opportunities some people have that others may not have. Many types of fishing and fish species experiences are shared at any time. 
  I can remember first joining this site and you would post my pictures of my fish and projects willingly as I couldn't.  Later Alan and others helped me figure out how to post using a computer 💻.  Yes I'm grateful.
   Later with a new phone 📲 others walked me through the phone/tablet way of posting here, I,m finding out after walking it fun to run.👍

scrinch

Well done, Gary, from concept to final product!