Help! Stripped screw on side plate of daiwa millionaire cv-z 300A

Started by Ronn, July 26, 2011, 04:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronn

Hello,
I would like to ask what is the best way to remove a stripped screw on the right side plate on a daiwa millionaire cv-z 300A.  I don't understand why daiwa has to use red label loctite adhesive on those 3 smaller screws (all phillip screws) that sit under the gold side plate ring on the drive side of the reel.  Those screws have no chance to back off since the side ring is on top of it.  I managed to remove 2 out of 3 screws out.  The loctite on the screws is so strong the 2 screw heads almost deform as I remove them out.  The last screw was very stubborn and the soft screw head is just not strong enough to break the bond of loctite.  So how do I remove this screw out so I can clean out the reel and replace the stock drag with carbontex washers. 

I want to try using a dremal to remove the head of the screw out and hope that the side plate would pop out.  The screw is quite small and there is no room to use other techniques. 

Thanks for suggestions.

Ronn

alantani

if you can narrow down the cutting wheel of a dremel, you might be able to cut a straight slot and use a flat head screw driver.  sorry, guys, but daiwa is just digging themselves deeper and deeper........  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

I've used Alan's technique with some success in the past - definitely worth a try.
Also, don't forget that loctite is heat sensitive.
It'll be tricky to heat it effectively without damaging the side plate, but perhaps try a soldering iron against the screw head to localise the heat...
Last option is to carefully grind off (ie Dremell) the screw head and slip the side plate off.
If there's enough of the screw left, you might be able to grasp it with some needle-nose pliers (or vise grips) and twist it out.
(I've also heard that carb cleaner might help, but can't vouch for this. It's also likely to damage any painted surfaces.)
Good luck and let us know how you go.
Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ronn

Thanks guys for the suggestions.  The place where I work has a machine shop so I use the mill to carefully drill out the head of the screw.  Now I only have 2 screws left on the right side plate but that should not be a problem.  All the gears are mounted on the frame which is one piece frame so there is plenty of strength there.  I ordered a new frame and right side plates from Daiwa for spare parts.  I didn't know they still selling those parts for the reel.  Thanks again.

Irish Jigger

That soldering iron is a great tip redsetta, really works. Thankfully I seldom come across reel screws secured with Loctite,hate the stuff.

nelz

I just acquired a near-mint Millionaire Blue Backer 200bb and encountered this upon doing first maintenance. Luckily I didn't break off the screw heads, but surely stripped them to some degree. I had to press down extremely hard to the point of bruising my palm, sheesh!  >:(

Anyone have a suggestion for the best screw drivers use for these small lock-tite stuck screws?

RUSTY OLD COLT

try heating the screw with a hot solder iron for a few minutes , then dip the tip of your phillips screwdriver in some automotive valve grinding compound   and try removing it , ( the valve grinding compound takes up the space between the screwdriver and screw and helps stop it from further wearing the screw head due to a loose fit ) then replace the screws when you get them out.

nelz

Thanks Rusty, but I did get them out already. I wanted suggestions for a good screwdriver or the correct size to buy.

Reel 224

Quote from: RUSTY OLD COLT on August 10, 2015, 04:57:10 PM
try heating the screw with a hot solder iron for a few minutes , then dip the tip of your phillips screwdriver in some automotive valve grinding compound   and try removing it , ( the valve grinding compound takes up the space between the screwdriver and screw and helps stop it from further wearing the screw head due to a loose fit ) then replace the screws when you get them out.

Best suggestion yet, Ive don that and it works great with scope mounted screws that have been lock tight secured.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

Quote from: nelz on August 10, 2015, 05:42:31 PM
Thanks Rusty, but I did get them out already. I wanted suggestions for a good screwdriver or the correct size to buy.

Brownells has drivers that are hardened and grooved to prevent slippage. Talk to one of the Tecs there. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

MarkT

Quote from: RUSTY OLD COLT on August 10, 2015, 04:57:10 PM

I'll have to try this myself since the screw heads are basically stripped out on my cvz300.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Slazmo

Daiwa screws affectionately known as "suicide screws"...