Busted spring thrust washer/spool spring washer?

Started by jplee3, April 18, 2018, 07:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplee3

Hey all,

I was trying to do some service/maintenance on my Avet SX 5.1 and ended up busting one of those really tiny washers that sits on both sides of the spool spring. (Part #16 here, known as the "spool spring washer" - http://schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/albums/avet/Avet_SX5-1.pdf). I think what happened was that the washer caught caught into where the spring 'closes' at the end so when I started buttoning the drag down it popped (I actually heard an audible "pop" too)

I think the current name for this per Avet's site and looking at other diagrams is the "spring thrust washer" - I called Avet and they are sending the replacement for it.

Are these washers really necessary though? Would it hurt fishing without them?

SoCalAngler

They're not 100% necessary they just stop the thrust spring from rubbing on the bearing in the spool and the one in the drag plate

jplee3

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 18, 2018, 09:56:38 PM
They're not 100% necessary they just stop the thrust spring from rubbing on the bearing in the spool and the one in the drag plate

Thanks! It looks like there's some blue plastic or rubber(?) piece that covers the actual ball bearings. I'm assuming those washers help buffer and protect the spring from wearing down the bearings and leading to having to replace the bearings sooner?

handi2

The bearings have blue rubber seals. Use the one washer you have left on top.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jplee3

Quote from: handi2 on April 19, 2018, 12:13:29 AM

That's the one that originally busted. The bearing that fits into the spool has one side that's exposed with no seal, I think.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: jplee3 on April 19, 2018, 12:48:12 AM

That's the one that originally busted. The bearing that fits into the spool has one side that's exposed with no seal, I think.

Most of the Avet reels spool bearings are open on one side, some have both sides open. Like handi2 said the blue that you are seeing is most likely the seal on one of the bearings or both. I have seen these bearings come with different colored seals, like black, red and blue.

The spring you are talking about will most likely only come in contact with the inner race of both those bearings. But, over time that spring may get a bit larger in diameter and come in contact the side of those bearings where the shields should be and slow the freespool of the reel. I think that is why those washers are there, so the spring will never have a chance to come into contact of those bearings.

Like I said are those wahsers 100% necessary? No. If I had those washers would I put them in the reel? Yes.

jplee3

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 19, 2018, 01:30:20 AM
Quote from: jplee3 on April 19, 2018, 12:48:12 AM

Most of the Avet reels spool bearings are open on one side, some have both sides open. Like handi2 said the blue that you are seeing is most likely the seal on one of the bearings or both. I have seen these bearings come with different colored seals, like black, red and blue.

The spring you are talking about will most likely only come in contact with the inner race of both those bearings. But, over time that spring may get a bit larger in diameter and come in contact the side of those bearings where the shields should be and slow the freespool of the reel. I think that is why those washers are there, so the spring will never have a chance to come into contact of those bearings.

Like I said are those wahsers 100% necessary? No. If I had those washers would I put them in the reel? Yes.

Thanks... that makes sense. It sounds like it's something you could get by on in the short-term but probably not something to let linger for the long-haul.

exp2000

Yeah, I think these washers have a stepped profile to direct the spring tension to the inner bearing race.

Omitting them may result in contact with more vulnerable parts of the opposing bearings risking possible damage due to gouging.
~