"Old School" rod for Penn 49?

Started by pjstevko, April 19, 2018, 04:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

Would this rod work for me????

Original Sabre Grafast GF196-8 8'0" 8-25

SoCalAngler

Those rods are mainly for the 3 B's, bass, Bonito, and barracuda. They should be a good 15 lb to maybe 20 lb test. I have a black steel 196-8 that I use for Bass and such with a Newell 220 on it and 15 lb test. The grafast should be very similar

Swami805

If it's honey colored glass with a dark graphite butt end those becoming collectible and if can get it for a reasonable price maybe buy it anyway. Too light for rockfish but there is a niche market for those. Factory wrap would be a plus too
Do what you can with that you have where you are

pjstevko

Quote from: Swami805 on April 20, 2018, 06:38:59 PM
If it's honey colored glass with a dark graphite butt end those becoming collectible and if can get it for a reasonable price maybe buy it anyway. Too light for rockfish but there is a niche market for those. Factory wrap would be a plus too

Its a black colored blank and the seller says its been rewrapped...He said he'd take $75

thorhammer

Quote from: droppedit on April 20, 2018, 11:18:02 AM
PJ, Offshore in New England the old Lamiglas HBT96S was the go to choice for cod fisherman. This was an extremely light rod but looked like a telephone pole. It is a thin walled blank with a number 28 top and a 1" butt, still it has a slow action that will bend all the way back to the handle. I love these! Lamiglas quit making these a number of years ago but the rod can be duplicated. It was made off the same pattern and mandrel as the SB136-3M. This is an 11'-4" blank and can be cut to the desired action. I still use these for making jigging rods and keep the cut to either a 26 or 28 tip then go 8' back. I still fish with my HBT96S and have pulled both the old and new rods without being able to tell the difference. The 49 was a popular reel to be matched on that rod, seen many of them. I use a Progear 3500 on mine with braid but the true classic way to fish it would be with dacron ;)
Hope this helps.

Dave

Dave,

side question, what are using spar varnish on?

John

droppedit

Quote from: thorhammer on April 20, 2018, 07:05:59 PM

Dave,

side question, what are using spar varnish on?

John

John, I've been doing a bunch of restorations, some hickory blanks, and the Neptuna rods have all been coated with spar varnish. 2 coats of spar on the thread and where I put the decal I give it a shot of spray varnish to seal the decal then another brush coat. In this thread http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24737.0 in the bottom 3 pictures the rod on the bottom is the one with the spar, top picture they both have spar.

Sorry PJ, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Swami805

Still a nice sabre and a nice rod with a very soft tip but some back bone down low. The 196-8 was the go-to for fishing anchovies flylinig with 15-20 and a squidder 146. Not good for what you're looking for but might come in handy for swimbaits if you do shallow water rockfish. $75 is about right if it's in decent shape, if you have a use for a light line set up might be a good one to have. If it was me I'd buy it but I have a sickness for that sort of thing.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Swami805 on April 19, 2018, 10:06:00 PM
I have a 8' truline octagon that I restored to factory down to the decal. Would be a good match for that reel. Pm me for details if you're interested. Normally I wouldn't sell it without knowing it was going to a home.

Swami, I reread my post about this rod and to me it sounded like I was dissing this rod. This was not my intention at all as a matter of fact I meant the exact opposite. You took great care in the restoration and when I said the octagon's had issues, well they did so not many are left but I didn't mean your rod has breakage issues. Being a rare rod and with the Trueline's being so sought after I didn't want someone to take a collectors piece and make it a every day fishing rod.

Sorry if there was any confusion.

Swami805

No offense at all, I built this one for fishing, it's a 6'-6" blank that I extended to 8' for fishing. I apologize for not putting that in my post to begin with. I hope no one sees this as deception on my part as that was not my intention, I was in a hurry and just thru it out there. Sometimes I should think before I type, just didn't occur to me at the time. I even put it on the label that's it's not a genuine 8' truline just in case it passes thru me and some one tries to pass it off as one.
That being said it fishes really nice and would be cool on a 49 at about 1/5 the cost of the real McCoy. I wouldn't fish a real one either.

Fishy247

Hmm....does this mean I'm being foolish fishing my D8?

Swami805

No, if you like it fish it, just be aware that some are worth some serious money. Couple of my buddies are big truline guys and bring them to me to re-wrap. They'll spend a wad of cash for an old beater. Those guy's love them and fish the heck out of them.

SoCalAngler

Not at all I was looking for a LM8 to fish but I went another route. The 8' octagons are a rare beast for sure and fetch top dollar. Most go into collections and are not fished.

droppedit

Quote from: Swami805 on April 21, 2018, 05:31:07 PM
Couple of my buddies are big truline guys and bring them to me to re-wrap. They'll spend a wad of cash for an old beater. Those guy's love them and fish the heck out of them.

Plus they sound so cool on the lathe while doing the underwraps
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Fishy247

Hahaha...It's an old round D8 that I bring on almost every trip. I've caught my 2 biggest yellows (32#) on it. I love that rod....matches up pretty good with my T4N1 also!  ;D ;D ;D

MarkT

How are you going to load the 49 and what are you looking to use it for?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!