Pier fishing at Belmont Pier in Long Beach CA

Started by Bill B, April 20, 2018, 08:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Ok, gotta make lemonade out of lemons.  I was elected to chauffeur a bunch of high school kids to their Junior Prom in Long Beach CA, this Saturday.  Well just down the street is the Belmont Veterans Memorial Pier (1600 ft + long) and it's open to fishing  :D.  I'm figuring on taking a Squidder 146 on a 7' pole or a Mitchell 302 on a 9' either with 20 lb mono.  Will be fishing at sunset until about 2200 hours.  A question to my pier fishing brothers and sisters  ???  I haven't fished a pier in about 40 years  :-\  Satellite photos show no real underwater structure around the pier, but then again not real high resolution either.....Hey Ron J. you wouldn't happen to have Navy data you could legally share for the area  ::)

> Instinct would be to go as far out as possible to fish, but surf casters normally reach no more than 100' off the shore.....should I think about fishing closer to shore?  Possibly in the surf zone?

> Bait.....anchovies, sardnes, or squid?  Or throw some hard bait, irons, or large Rapala's.

I will only have about 3-4 hours to fish, and really happy just getting out so wont be taking a lot of gear. One rod/reel, deck chair and backpack of drinks and very small assortment of tackle

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

If it was me I'd take a very light rig and the smallest sabiki I could find, Kmart has tiny cheap ones. Use a 1/2 kastmaster or other shiny lure as a sinker. Catch some small bait fish and use those for bait for halibut, no need for a long cast, sometimes they lay right under the pier. Start right outside the surf line and work your way out looking for any sign of life. Fish the bait like a carolina rig, sliding egg sinker to a swivel to a 18-28" leader. You can let the bait sit or a few cranks of the handle every minute or so to keep the bait moving a little. The light at night will attract bait fish and the stuff that eats them. You can park on a bench and "clicker" fish too but I'm a.d.d. and need to be doing something, one rod soaking a bait and one you actively fish. A bucket with a rope is handy for seawater to keep the bait alive. Frozen bait will work too but fish it almost like you would the live bait, just keep it moving more.
Plan "B", plant your fanny on a bench, soak some bait while enjoying a cool beverage and enjoy an evening by the ocean.
Two rods max fishing at a pier, a ticket wouldn't be fun.
You're just the man for prom duty but I gotta ask, taser or pepper spray?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gobi King

Hair/flasher sabiki to catch bait fish or smaller fish.

7/0 J or circle hook with 3 to 5 oz weight to cast it out as a bottom rig.

I put on a mullet head and cast it out and wait and catch smaller stuff with a light dropper rig.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bill B

Sheridan, I'm happy I only have boys  ;D. But did have a talk with him about Gentleman's behavior.....they booked a room at The Aquarium of the Pacific....seems appropriate for what I have planned......hmmmmm wonder what my chances are of bring a rig in there  ;)

Gonna try the stability rig and make bait.....will bring some dead too just in case.....thanks for the quick replies...Bill

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Bill B

Thx....looks to be a lazy time ...but hey...I'm fishing.....report to follow tomorrow am....Bill

Bill B

Dock cart loaded and ready to head out.  Have a Squidder 140 and mitchell 302....gonna have to stop off for some bait just in case the sabiki doesnt produce.  Looks like slow fishing and I will be there as low tide turns and starts rising....Bill

Bill B

Well gathered the kids loaded them in the truck and headed out.  Dropped them off at the Aquarium of the Pacific and headed to the Belmont Pier.  Stopped for bait.  Weather was cool and the pier was crowded.  Rigged and baited the Squidder with squid and let'er rip.  Wow, still have the educated thumb  :o  Rigged the sabiki and over the side it went.  Good thing I stopped for bait, because the sabiki was a bust.  Fished for 3 1/2 hours with just a nibble.  Moved to a couple spots up and down the pier but as the fishing report stated, it was slow all over.   A sampling of the bait used ran the gamut of mussels, sardine, mackerel, anchovies, and squid.  Only saw one white croaker and a jack smelt come over the rail.  As night fell, I started seeing glowing UFO's flying off the pier  ??? ???    Come to find out the locals are using glow sticks in various colors as a bobber with a baited hook about 24" below.  No weights.  All in all, a great way to kill 4 hours.  Kids had a blast at the prom and dad got to go fishing......Bill

Kids looked great.  Mine is in the middle with the red bow tie

Entrance to the Belmont Pier

Highlight of the day was an awesome sunset

Reel Beaker

So you caught any fishies? thats a rather long pier for sure....

swill88

Wow! You're killin it Bill!
Living large!
Family & Fishing!
With jealousy, Steve

Gfish

Nice pictures Bill. I think your kid's bow-tie beats out the guy on the right's lapel flower.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

Good looking bunch there Bill, the red bow tie adds a touch of class for sure.
Pier fishing at its finest. You gave it a shot, got in the salt air and a beautiful sunset. Sometimes you get em sometimes you don't but always a worthwhile endeavor
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

The kids clean up pretty good when there is prom in the air.   :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Everytime I wear a suit, people talk about how I "clean-up". Sort of a misnomer. I took a shower and put on clean clothing(somewhat sloppy)this AM... Startin to hate that phrase.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!