D.A.M. Quick 550 minor problems

Started by festus, April 21, 2018, 01:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

This very clean 550 came today.  It's layed out a little different than most in this series.

The housing cover comes off the opposite side from what I'm used to.  Removing and replacing the connecting block is different, plus to get the washer and c-clip back onto the oscillation arm is done from the hole in the right side.  No big problem, just took a minute or two extra.  It was really a pain to get the roll pin to the handle out and even a bigger chore getting it back in place.

These have an oil port for the handle/crank assembly, something the others lack to my knowledge, similar to the big Shakespeare 2091 Royal Maroon.

When I got it back together I heard a slight tick once per revolution of the rotor.  Had encountered the same problem with a Finessa once.  It appeared that the bottom of the bail trip lever was rubbing something underneath.  After a little filing, that was taken care of.

Then I noticed something major missing.  There were no drag washers at all, just the retaining clip.  :'(

So now I have a collection of all the first Finessa series, the 110, 220, 330, 440, 550 plus the old Finessa 285 from 1964.  

Which size is my favorite?  Can't really say yet, but I know which is my least favorite, the 110.  I'm not knocking the 110, it's a strong, well designed, overbuilt reel, but it looks rather odd with the big housing and tiny spool.  Perhaps a spool with a little larger diameter and a wee bit deeper and I'd like it much better.  Right now I'd give the edge to the Shakespeare 2052 over the 110.  At least in looks and line capacity, the 110 might be stronger but the 2052 seems more practical. Or even the Mitchell 308 for that matter.  ;)

Midway Tommy

Good for you rounding up a complete set, Chester! I'll bet that feels good.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Nice 550 (that paint!!) and having a whole collection even nicer.

Frank

festus

Thanks guys, yes it does feel good, also got partial spare parts reels on the 220 and 330.

Not sure I'll shoot for the entire set of the N series.  I've been disappointed with their plastic ratchet wheels, at least on the 550N. The only other of that set I have is the 220N which has had no problems. Might consider getting a 110N if I could hold it in my hands first to get the feel of it. 

BTW, wasn't there someone on here a while back who mentioned they really liked the 110N better than the 110 and the Microlite?

foakes

You still need the 221 & 331, Chester...for a complete set of all 7.

You will love the 221 — high speed, longer crank — rare reel.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Quote from: foakes on April 21, 2018, 03:28:19 AM
You still need the 221 & 331, Chester...for a complete set of all 7.

You will love the 221 — high speed, longer crank — rare reel.

Best,

Fred
Yes, I forgot about those.  There seem to be plenty of 331 out there in very good shape on the auction for fair prices.  I see a 221 occasionally but they're in rough shape and overpriced.

That 331 with a metal spool from a Finessa 285 and it's higher speed would be perfect for casting 1 oz to 2 oz bucktail jigs at the tailrace of my favorite dam in the boils and swift water.  Stripers, hybrids, even an occasional big rainbow or muskie lurk in there this time of year up to mid June. 

Alto Mare

Very nice Chester, I'm glad you like these reels.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

festus

Here are the 550 and 550N side by side. 

The 550N feels a little smoother, is also quieter when the anti-reverse is on.  Of course the handles aren't switchable from right hand to left hand. 

The biggest weak link imho is the plastic ratchet wheel  in the 550N.    If I was to hook a large running fish I'd much rather it be with the 550.  Not sure how big a factor that is with the 110N to 440N.

Midway Tommy

Here's some "food for thought".  ???

While I'm not a fan of plastic or nylon spinning reel parts, if one really stops and thinks about it, drag click gears and/or ratchet wheels are probably the best mechanical part, other than the handle knob, to be made of plastic or nylon. They really only serve one purpose and that is to let you know when line is being taken out on a fish run. Unless the reel is being used for larger line and/or fish than it was designed for and the drag has been turned down too tight, all it is designed to do is spin and activate the spool click, whether thats a dog or flat spring. Although some also act as a drag washer, a lot of reels have polyoxymethylene type drag washers, so that aspect is really a non issue. Under appropriate conditions the cogs on a synthetic click gear should see very little wear from a click dog or spring.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

festus

Maybe so, Tommy, but both 550N I've dealt with have had faulty ratchet clickers.  Of course, these reels were pre-owned before I got ahold of them so who knows how they got that way.  Come to think of it, never had a problem with a plastic ratchet on any reel I've bought new.

Midway Tommy

Yeah, some lubricants, especially some of the old go tos, don't play well with plastics. They can dry them out & make them brittle. Synthetics seem to be a little more user friendly. The problem is, with older stuff, you seldom know what has been used in the past.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

mo65

Keep your eyes peeled for a 221 Festus, it is my favorite of the series, it makes a killer bass fishing reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~