Teflon

Started by Scattergun2570, April 22, 2018, 03:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

Found a Calcutta rebuild pictorial done by Alan,which mentioned that the A/R bearing can be made of regular steel ,not stainless and is subject to rusting. He said he was using a Teflon grease to combat this..only I don't know which greases are Teflon..so can someone suggest a good one?

Rivverrat

Look for PTFE in the ingredients. Lucas oil has good grease with teflon. However I'm not sure grease containing this will do any better than than a good quality marine grease thinned a bit with oil.

Sorry I just noticed this is for a anti reverse bearing. So the Teflon could help with proper function  ..Jeff

exp2000

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on April 22, 2018, 03:04:20 AM
Found a Calcutta rebuild pictorial done by Alan,which mentioned that the A/R bearing can be made of regular steel ,not stainless and is subject to rusting. He said he was using a Teflon grease to combat this..only I don't know which greases are Teflon..so can someone suggest a good one?

How about a link?

Greasing A/R bearings is not the best idea from a performance perspective.

They do come greased from the factory but even the manufacturers recommend switching to light oil when servicing.

You see, these devices are not really bearings at all. They could best be described as one-way clutches.

As such, they rely on friction for their operation so heavy lubrication can effectively sabotage them.

Tests have concluded that Corrosion X is the best product to use on these but I also add a smear of light grease as a concession to reduce noise.
~

Scattergun2570

Quote from: exp2000 on April 22, 2018, 03:47:40 AM
Quote from: Scattergun2570 on April 22, 2018, 03:04:20 AM

How about a link?

Greasing A/R bearings is not the best idea from a performance perspective.

They do come greased from the factory but even the manufacturers recommend switching to light oil when servicing.

You see, these devices are not really bearings at all. They could best be described as one-way clutches.

As such, they rely on friction for their operation so heavy lubrication can effectively sabotage them.

Tests have concluded that Corrosion X is the best product to use on these but I also add a smear of light grease as a concession to reduce noise.
~

https://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/83509-shimano-calcutta-400-series-rebuild.html

Rivverrat

Not all anti reverse bearings are the same. With that some respond differently to being greased & the amount used or if it's thinned with oil.

I've never accepted what is said or described as best until I know it as fact myself through my own trials & errors. As stated prior it is hard to go wrong with a lite oil such as Corrosion X... Jeff 

sdlehr

Quote from: exp2000 on April 22, 2018, 03:47:40 AM
How about a link?

Note the dates of the earlier posts click here
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

handi2

In the tutorial he used Shimano drag grease. You can use Cal's drag grease.

I dont grease them. I just add some CorrosionX oil or TSI oil.

Just make sure to put a good amount of grease on top of the clutch bearing before adding the spring washers. Grease them too, they will rust.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Scattergun2570

Thanks guys,will use the oil as suggested.