Went all in! Black Hole yellowtail/tuna rod and surface irons

Started by pjstevko, April 23, 2018, 04:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I'm gearing up for my first multiple day trip targeting yellowtail and tuna in the fall and I needed a new rod so I jumped off the deep end and bought a Black Hole Challenger Bank S-801H! The power to weight ratio of this rod is amazing and should be perfect for slinging irons all day. Check out the bend this rod can handle but not explode..

I also picked up a nice selection of Caivo surface irons. They are guaranteed to swim/kick correctly or Jimmy will replace it for free and at $8 each they are a steal.....

Fall can't come quick enough.....

Swami805

Nothing more fun than catching yellows on the "plug". That should be a great set-up
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cor

If that includes Yellowfin Tuna as well, you will have the time of your life!!
Cornelis

MarkT

I have that rod and have caught YT and YFT on it with both surface irons and poppers!  I started with a Shimano Saragosa 10k but this year switched to a TwinPower 14k.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

Quote from: MarkT on April 23, 2018, 02:02:24 PM
I have that rod and have caught YT and YFT on it with both surface irons and poppers!  I started with a Shimano Saragosa 10k but this year switched to a TwinPower 14k.

I'm gonna put a saragooa 8000 body with a 10000 spool on it to start with..... I'll probably upgrade the reel after a while depending on how much the setup gets used....

Fishy247

Not enough iron bubba....

Just kidding, looks like you have a heck of a spread there! Now you just need one of those sweet jig boxes that Mark Mayo builds to put them in....

-Mike

Big Tim

Good looking gear PJ ... Where did you get the irons? I looked on the Caivo website and nothing?

Tim

pjstevko

Quote from: Big Tim on April 24, 2018, 01:12:24 AM
Good looking gear PJ ... Where did you get the irons? I looked on the Caivo website and nothing?

Tim

I bought it all at Bob Sands Tackle shop in Van Nuys!

The Caivo surface irons can be bought on the LB Fishing Supplies ebay store..... Same prices online and in store, free shipping and fast service

http://stores.ebay.com/lbfishingsupplies/

gstours

How did you purchase your black hole rod.  What was the cost with shipping?  Every one can use another rod.  Just wondering?🎣

pjstevko

Quote from: gstours on April 24, 2018, 03:08:40 AM
How did you purchase your black hole rod.  What was the cost with shipping?  Every one can use another rod.  Just wondering?🎣

I bought it in person from Bob Sands Tackle shop, it is one of there best sellers for fishing poppers and irons. The rod is available from a bunch of different websites...

MarkT

I got mine a few years ago at the Fred Hall Show. I recently got a BH Cape Cod Special on-line and got free shipping.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

Quote from: MarkT on April 24, 2018, 04:13:33 AM
I got mine a few years ago at the Fred Hall Show. I recently got a BH Cape Cod Special on-line and got free shipping.

Holy cow Mark... 2 Black Hole rods, that's quite a nice array of rods to fish with.......i could barely afford the Challenger Bank but the CCS is an amazing food add well!

Swami805

I go to Bob Sands just to check the used reel case. Got some nice reels there at fair prices.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

pjstevko

Quote from: Swami805 on April 25, 2018, 12:54:10 AM
I go to Bob Sands just to check the used reel case. Got some nice reels there at fair prices.

I didn't even bother to look in that case because I had already spent WAY too much $$$  ;D

Benni3

That's a very nice rod  ;) can't wait to see the fish you get with that  ;D