The Mighty 14/0

Started by Shark Hunter, April 23, 2018, 07:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

On my last trip to the coast a few weeks ago, I gifted my Buddy Robin, a 14/0 that I have refined over the years, and brought with me every single trip.
I can't think of a guy more deserving and a reel of this magnitude can literally bring anything to shore that a normal man is capable of.
I have plenty more to put in the line up, and that is just what I did this evening.
14/0, double stainless dogs and springs, True stainless main and pinion, brand new seven stack with stainless sleeve and the newest offset handle from Adam with a 5/0 Grip. Ready for whatever comes at it.
I know a 130 lb spool of Exsum contains 2400 yards.
Robin's reel has the first half and mine the rest. That tells me I have at least 1100 yards on this bad boy.
Get ready to paddle my Man! 500 yard drops on these. ;)
I plan on dropping my own past the pier before dark.
My Boy Mike will be with me this time. He is a Machine.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

That star looks familiar, I 've forgotten all about it :).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Army_of_One

I'll do the second one after dark.  ;D  I can't begin to thank you enough for gifting me that.  It would be cool to have your signature in silver sharpie on the inside plate. ;)  I'll post a pic up later of the "Shark Hunter."  I hope Mike will be able to hear the horn that far out though.
Another day in Paradise!

thorhammer

Top-class move on two top-class reels by a top-class guy with top-class fishing buddies. 

TongassFisher

Monster of a reel, looking good!

I'm looking forward to all of the future pictures of these 20/0 builds from the kits you guys have coming from Randy.

Haven't been following the posts on whom is picking up the 20/0 kits as I've been priced out of that game.

I'm i right in assuming you will be doing a 20/0 Build?

I feel like you are the big senator guy on AT!

Aiala

When is your next Navarre expedition, Mr. Shark? I don't want to miss a single news flash!  8)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

sharkman

Great looking reel Shark Hunter.

Dominick

Go Daron.  Good luck on your quest for "Jaws."  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Army_of_One on April 23, 2018, 11:58:37 AM
I'll do the second one after dark.  ;D  I can't begin to thank you enough for gifting me that.  It would be cool to have your signature in silver sharpie on the inside plate. ;)  I'll post a pic up later of the "Shark Hunter."  I hope Mike will be able to hear the horn that far out though.
That far out, the air horn will be useless. The end of the pier is 500 yards out.
When I'm close, I drop it. Don't want to go to being even with the end, because there is a 90% chance you are not straight out and already stripped 600 yards.
There is serenity and fear at the same time being that far out.
The carbon fiber paddle comes in handy here. ;)
My kayak will move out when you start putting down the strokes.
Life is Good!

Army_of_One

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 23, 2018, 07:10:23 PM
I'll do the second one after dark.  ;D  I can't begin to thank you enough for gifting me that.  It would be cool to have your signature in silver sharpie on the inside plate. ;)  I'll post a pic up later of the "Shark Hunter."  I hope Mike will be able to hear the horn that far out though.
That far out, the air horn will be useless. The end of the pier is 500 yards out.
When I'm close, I drop it. Don't want to go to being even with the end, because there is a 90% chance you are not straight out and already stripped 600 yards.
I'm glad you still have it!  ;D  I do agree about the serenity/fear thing.  There's nothing but black in front and under you.  It will give you a high that I assume only jumping from planes can replicate.
Another day in Paradise!

TheReelShop

Quote from: Army_of_One on April 25, 2018, 01:42:56 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 23, 2018, 07:10:23 PM
I'm glad you still have it!  ;D  I do agree about the serenity/fear thing.  There's nothing but black in front and under you.  It will give you a high that I assume only jumping from planes can replicate.

I do this down here in Miami, and yes it is truly serenity/fear. I usually drop once I start feeling the fear. I have done this as well in areas where there is no pier. But if you wanna chance at landing monsters this is part of it.... hahaha and big baits too!!!