knots for paternoster rig

Started by Reel Beaker, April 23, 2018, 02:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

Hi Guys,

Looking to tie a paternoster rig with heavy mono. So i was snelling some hook snoods, and was wondering how to attach them to the main snood. I usually attach the hook snoods with the surgeon knot for light mono, but was having trouble drawing all 4 sides of the knot as required. The knot just don't clinch and seat very well.....And well it was just 20 lb line which really isn't that heavy at all....

Really looking into tying a 3-hook paternoster rig(Have plans to tie up to 40 lb in near future). Advice on how to draw the knot properly or any other alternatives to attach the hook snoods will be very welcome.

Anyone here ties the shock leader knot here? What are your view on how the knot holds up?

Also looking for any resource on different rigs, and rig tying methods.

akfish

Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gfish

May need a couple a definitions RB: "paternoster" & "snood"?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

How about dropper loop knots with the snod attached by improved Albright hitch.

snod - short piece of leader attached to hook.  Past tense of "to snell".

paternoster - series of drops at the terminal tackle.  Sort of like the rope lift on the bunny slope.

-steve

boon

I tie mine similarly, snelled hooks on single drops with a surgeon's knot onto the main/backbone. I've tied mine in up to 50lb mono and the knot always comes up nicely, how many turns are you putting on the surgeons knot? I only go around twice and it's plenty strong. Throw a half-hitch below the knot with the tag end of the dropper line to help cinch it all up.

I have done a fair bit of knot testing the the traditional dropper loop knots (blood loop) are very weak, typically around 50% of breaking strain. They have other disadvantages too, such as not being able to use a different line-weight for the droppers, and that if the dropper fails it usually fails within the knot and you lose the entire rig (if the top dropper is the one that breaks) whereas with single droppers I tend to just lose a single drop and can cut off the remaining hooks/sinker and retie at a later time.

Decker

pa·ter·nos·ter
ˈpadərˌnästər,ˈpädərˌnästər/
noun
(in the Roman Catholic Church) the Lord's Prayer, especially in Latin.
an elevator consisting of a series of linked doorless compartments moving continuously on an endless belt.

Presumably stronger than the Ave Maria rig ;D

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reel Beaker

Quote from: Gfish on April 23, 2018, 06:53:07 PM
May need a couple a definitions RB: "paternoster" & "snood"?

snood: just a strand of fishing line with a snelled hook at the end

paternoster rig: a series of hook snoods connected to a strand of monofilament, the end product which is a paternoster rig.

Actually thought this was quite a well-known rig.

Reel Beaker

Quote from: oc1 on April 23, 2018, 06:53:57 PM
How about dropper loop knots with the snod attached by improved Albright hitch.

snod - short piece of leader attached to hook.  Past tense of "to snell".

paternoster - series of drops at the terminal tackle.  Sort of like the rope lift on the bunny slope.

-steve

What you suggested is known as the T-knot. Unfortunately, i am not very well versed in tying a droppler loop.

http://www.handlinefishing.com/howtofish/knotsrigs/tknot/

PS: I am actually using the term "snood" instead of "snod" because of the illustration on this site. Is it "snood" or "snod"?

Reel Beaker

Quote from: Decker on April 23, 2018, 10:38:41 PM
pa·ter·nos·ter
ˈpadərˌnästər,ˈpädərˌnästər/
noun
(in the Roman Catholic Church) the Lord's Prayer, especially in Latin.
an elevator consisting of a series of linked doorless compartments moving continuously on an endless belt.

Presumably stronger than the Ave Maria rig ;D

Now we know why this rig catches fish. Blessed by the greatest angler of all time..

Reel Beaker

Quote from: boon on April 23, 2018, 10:18:41 PM
I tie mine similarly, snelled hooks on single drops with a surgeon's knot onto the main/backbone. I've tied mine in up to 50lb mono and the knot always comes up nicely, how many turns are you putting on the surgeons knot? I only go around twice and it's plenty strong. Throw a half-hitch below the knot with the tag end of the dropper line to help cinch it all up.

I have done a fair bit of knot testing the the traditional dropper loop knots (blood loop) are very weak, typically around 50% of breaking strain. They have other disadvantages too, such as not being able to use a different line-weight for the droppers, and that if the dropper fails it usually fails within the knot and you lose the entire rig (if the top dropper is the one that breaks) whereas with single droppers I tend to just lose a single drop and can cut off the remaining hooks/sinker and retie at a later time.

Currently also using 2 turns for the surgeon knot. My knot is not as snug and compact as i wish it to be. I am not sure if it is suppose to be this way. Would appreciate it if you could upload a picture of your knot for me to use as future reference.

Currently not very well-verse at tying the droppler loop which is something that i was trying to pick up. Didnt know that it was a weak loop.

Thanks.

MarkT

I don't use the dropper loop knot. I use the surgeons knot or spider hitch. They're easier to tie and stronger.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Fishy247

Here's a great illustration on how to tie a dropper loop. Pretty good site for learning any knot really....

http://www.animatedknots.com/dropperloop/index.php

Decker

I do tie the dropper loop, and I like the way it stands off the main line, but have had it break at the knot.  Would like to try the spider hitch or surgeon's knot instead.

boon

Here's my version of it. The "backbone" is 80lb hi-vis, the "snood" or dropper is 50lb clear mono; I normally use 50lb and 30lb respectively but I have used heavier lines here for clarity:

Lay both lines parallel, with the tag end of the snood pointing towards the sinker. Make a loop with both lines.

Take both lines through the loop twice.

Pull the knot tight. This may take a bit of working on each of the four ends you now have.

With the tag end of the snood, throw a half hitch around the backbone underneath the knot.

Pull this half-hitch good and tight against the knot. Trim the tag end.

And you're done! I pre-tie a bunch of my snoods with whatever hook I'm planning to use in the rig, then tie these into the backbone. This knot is nice because the way it lies makes the rig more aero/hydrodynamic when it's on the way out, but once it settles the snood stands away from the backbone.