DAM 330 spool adjustment for line lay

Started by Decker, April 23, 2018, 05:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Can someone tell me how to align the spool of this 330 to get the line to lay evenly?  it was suggested that I shim it out with a washer, but it is not clear to me where I can put the washer.  Thanks.

festus

I may be wrong but here I think.  Not even sure I got these washers correct, I've only had this 330 a couple weeks.

festus

Anyway, the line lay isn't perfect on my 330 but it's close enough.  after I completely disassembled this reel, cleaned it, and put it back together I just put it back as it was.

Decker

festus

I'm thinking I saw in either a Shakespeare or Penn owner's manual that the factory left a couple of extra washers in the box especially for this purpose.  Those reels are built similar to the DAM Quicks.

Midway Tommy

Joe,

Also check the bail arm/roller to make sure it is at the correct angle and adjusted properly. If the line roller isn't in the correct position (if it's bent out toward the front of the spool) the line won't lay completely to the back of the spool unless it slides off the windings.

Chester,
Dam included shims for that purpose, & bail springs, etc.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rivverrat

Yes based on your pic you need to add some washers or as stated your bail could be bent... Jeff

festus

I found the instructions for correcting line lay in a manual.

Decker

Thanks, Fes! I need to hunt down a washer or two.

Pretty sure the bail is right.

foakes

I'll send you a couple of new resistex, and two new brass ones, Joe —

Just one of each should do it — the brass goes against the ratchet wheel, the resistex goes between the brass and the underside of the spool.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

:)  It is amazing how a .015 shim can change the wrap on a spool .  I may try playing with .008 shims to fine tune . Probably more so with braid line .    joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Decker

Quote from: foakes on April 29, 2018, 04:00:13 AM
I'll send you a couple of new resistex, and two new brass ones, Joe —

Just one of each should do it — the brass goes against the ratchet wheel, the resistex goes between the brass and the underside of the spool.

Best,

Fred

Fred to the rescue!  Thank you, Fred!  I'm much too far away to buy you a beer.

Quote from: oldmanjoe on April 29, 2018, 09:55:36 PM
:)  It is amazing how a .015 shim can change the wrap on a spool .  I may try playing with .008 shims to fine tune . Probably more so with braid line .    joe
I had planned to put braid on top of that mono.  I'll take it off and start over once the alignment is right.

mo65

Joe...I went back and looked at the photos of the disassembled reel...I'm pretty sure I found the culprit. Look at this photo, it shows all the spool washers. Note beside the ratchet wheel there is a Resistex washer, but no brass washer! There's your huckleberry! I'm certain when you add one of those that Fred is sending you'll be good to go. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Nice detective work, Mo ;)  Group effort here. ;D  I'll be casting jigs with this bad-boy in the back-bays in no time. 8)  Thanks again, guys!