Main Menu

Tuna Poppers

Started by pjstevko, April 28, 2018, 04:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

I have the large (green) and extra-large (blue) Texas Tackles and a pair of HPA's. The HPA's have no problems with the larger, stronger split rings that the TT's struggle with.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

So my VMC Inline hooks arrived and the 7/0 are huge and are getting returned.

The 6/0 hooks might work for the bigger 3 poppers but the smaller popper is gonna need 4/0 or 5/0 so I'll order those sizes next and see how they size up.....

Where the best place to buy those XL Texas Tackle Split Ring pliers?

MarkT

The standard trebles work fine for YT and schoolie Tuna. I mostly use the singles to make it easier for c&r. I think I got my TT's from Amazon but there are other places that have them. Google is your friend. I had to get another pair after security in PV took them since they're such a threat. Fortunately they're $20 rather than $60 HPA's.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

theswimmer

Quote from: pjstevko on May 18, 2018, 04:04:42 AM

The 6/0 hooks might work for the bigger 3 poppers but the smaller popper is gonna need 4/0 or 5/0 so I'll order those sizes next and see how they size up.....

Where the best place to buy those XL Texas Tackle Split Ring pliers?

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Texas_Tackle_Split_Ring_Pliers_X-Large_X-Heavy/descpage-TTSR5XL.html?from=Google&gclid=CjwKCAjw8_nXBRAiEiwAXWe2ybXtTd00ayv2QcuwZqOZlGmS3p3WlVZLKIUP_wqqXpYNH0-jXeGhuxoCbvMQAvD_BwE

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

jurelometer

I mentioned this in an earlier reply on this thread:  VMC has a downloadable PDF link on the web page for each hook style.  On the PDF, each hook size is shown.   Print the PDF with scaling/resizing turned off on your printer options (this is often the default).    Now you will be able to see the exact size of the hooks before ordering.

I could only find the the links to the PDFs on the vmcpeche site.  They appear to be unavailable if you follow the USA based links and end  up on the rapala site.

https://vmcpeche.com/products/inline-single-hook

The ability to see the exact size of the hook before ordering is one of the reasons I like VMC hooks.  I have way too many unused hooks from other brands where the size I ordered ended up being different than what I wanted.

pjstevko

Quote from: jurelometer on May 18, 2018, 06:31:15 PM

I mentioned this in an earlier reply on this thread:  VMC has a downloadable PDF link on the web page for each hook style.  On the PDF, each hook size is shown.   Print the PDF with scaling/resizing turned off on your printer options (this is often the default).    Now you will be able to see the exact size of the hooks before ordering.

I could only find the the links to the PDFs on the vmcpeche site.  They appear to be unavailable if you follow the USA based links and end  up on the rapala site.

The ability to see the exact size of the hook before ordering is one of the reasons I like VMC hooks.  I have way too many unused hooks from other brands where the size I ordered ended up being different than what I wanted.

I wasn't able to print out the sheet in the correct scale but I saved the link anyway....

jurelometer

Quote from: pjstevko on May 18, 2018, 08:58:04 PM
Quote from: jurelometer on May 18, 2018, 06:31:15 PM

I wasn't able to print out the sheet in the correct scale but I saved the link anyway....

Oops.   If you are printing directly  from inside the browser this might not work.   You may have to download the file and then open with a PDF reader like acrobat.   1:1 PDF scaling is a pretty common feature, as it is nesc for printing out forms that you fill out and mail in.    On windows,  you should have a scale option that looks like this when you select print from a PDF reader.