Newell S533 Tiburon Narrow Problem **SOLVED (thanks everyone)

Started by nlam004, April 30, 2018, 06:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nlam004

Hi all,

I recently converted an S533 5.5 and 4.6 with a 533N kit from Tiburon.  I also got 5+1 upgrades from Bryan (thank you!) which allowed me to increase the drag pressure of the reel.  Everything runs smooth at low drag pressures.  At high drag pressures there is a metal-on-metal grinding when pulling line off the spool.  It happens on both the 4.6 and the 5.5.  I narrowed it down to the spool where it shows scratches where I believe it is making contact with the frame.  From what I can see at high drag pressures, for whatever reason, the spool is being pulled forward closer to the frame, making contact and the metal-on-metal feeling.  Does anyone else have this issue?  The drag pressure is not unreasonable, far from being "buttoned down" by any means (it feels close to only 10# of drag pressure, if that).

I really want to fish these reels, but as is it doesn't have enough drag pressure for what I want to use them for because of the spool-frame contact.  Is it because of the "S" series, or is the reel just built not to handle the drag even with a Tiburon spool?  Has any one had the same experience?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated,
Nick
nlam004@gmail.com

Yogi_fish808

It's clearance issues with the tiburon parts. I've built several reels for myself and customers where the spool lip rubs the inside of the frame while line is pulled out at med-light drag settings. Sometimes turning the fame around will help resolve it or swapping the spools between the 2 kits you have. But if you've shimmed the spools to center and tried those other options then you're going to need new kits. It could be due to the screw holes being slightly off center, not enough metal removed during machining, etc. Unfortunately that's just the nature of aftermarket parts, sometimes things are just enough out of spec cause a problem. Email Tiburon as see if they can resolve it with you.

This has happened to me with 400 and 500 series. S,NL,R,PR and P series, 550 and 540 kits so it can happen with any series or kit size.

Aloha,
Kyle

Swami805

can you see any marks  on the spool from the contact? It's the lip of the spool contacting the edge of the frame? I'm assuming it's fine when you put it back in the original frame with the original spool. First thing I'd try is adding a shim under the bearing. It shouldn't  matter that it's an S. Might try adjusting the the caps to move the spool a bit from one side to the other and see if that helps. The tolerances of the tiburon frames are tighter than stock frames. Also check the inside of the handle side of the spool, if you see a circular mark it might be the bridge screws are a tiny bit long and need to be filed down a little.
I have a few of those kits and don't think any were a perfect swap right out of the gate but my issues were usually getting free spool without a rub. It takes a little patience but you'll figure it out,likely a small adjustment somewhere.
Could be the what Yogi says too, no telling without seeing it. Getting too lemons doesn't seem likely though.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

nlam004

Agreed, once I can understand, 2 in a row with identical problems is very unlikely.  The regular spool and frame were fine, and there isn't much lateral play with the spool and there isn't an issue with free spool.  The bridge screws seem clear, and there isn't any indication of contact there.  I can see the marks on the spool where it is making forward contact with the frame and can actually visualize the clearance between the frame and spool decrease as I pull the line.  Maybe the spool shaft is flexing, or the side plates are not built for that kind of stress???  Its a 533 so drag appropriate for 50# should be no issue.  This where it starts is appropriate for 30#, maybe.  Ill try flipping it around, see how it works.

I appreciate the comments, gets the ol brain working

Nick

Swami805

Almost sounds like the side plate is bending a little at the bearing.

mmmbeer

Tighten up the right bearing cap to have no lateral play in the spool. Tighter tolerance with the narrow tiburon frame/spool and just enough torquing at heavy drag pressures cause a slight spool rub on inner frame. This will be eliminated when you take out the typical Newell spool play.

alantani

Nick, I come across this problem every so often.  The first thing I try is to replace the spool bearings.  Sometimes that will take care of the problem.  If not,  then you have a spare set of bearings.  Hey, it might work!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

Did you get both dogs set properly? You'll still have anti reverse with one but the loose one might cause that when there's drag pressure. Little tricky getting both dogs to stay in place when you're putting it back together. Worth a check anyway.

nlam004

Thanks guys, both anti reverse dogs are appropriately in place, the bearings are orange seals (changed prior to my ownership) and Ive tightened the bearing cap so there is little to no play.  My next free afternoon I'll flip the frames, and maybe try the frame on a no-letter 533 I have.  My feeling is something with the S series. 

Keep you all posted!  Thank you everyone
Nick

nlam004

I flipped the frames on both reels and appears that was the ticket.  All is well!  whew, thank you everyone.

Tight lines,
Nick

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

nlam004

Going this weekend.  I'll post a pic if I get anything good