haddock/red fish in Cape Cod

Started by ksong, April 30, 2018, 03:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksong

I had a good fishing with Capt Jimmy the Greek out of Green Harbor, MA on Sat.
It was stupid fishing and we got our limit by 10:30 am though we released keeper size haddock.
We ventured out for red fish in deeper water and we found them.

Four anglers jigged and Capt Jimmy used bait, but it didn't matter as all hammered them.
I used 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch jigging rod/ IRT 300 filled with 20 lb braid. with 7 - 10 oz jigs
Park used the same Charter Special Slow Pitch jigging rod/JM PE2 and Tomo of Tomo Tackle used 6'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch rods and all worked great.

droppedit

Kil, I was out on Scanum Friday and we drilled the haddock. It made no difference of jigs, bait, or flies, they were savage. Picked up a dozen and a half of nice reds too. It is the season.
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

ksong

Quote from: droppedit on April 30, 2018, 04:05:23 PM
Kil, I was out on Scanum Friday and we drilled the haddock. It made no difference of jigs, bait, or flies, they were savage. Picked up a dozen and a half of nice reds too. It is the season.
It is fun, but not like to catch big cod on jigs. :)
Unfortunately we had to release cod as cod season is closed.

akfish

I'm curious about the "redfish." Is there another name for them? Some sort of snapper maybe?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

droppedit

Ocean Perch. Redfish / Rosefish is the local slang.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

conchydong

They look a little different but similar to the Black Belly Rosefish ,"Rosies" what we catch deep dropping in S. FL. They are not Snappers but in the Scorpionfish family and probably related to many of the "Rockfish" you guys have in the Pacific.

These are what we catch in 700'-1100' of water.

Scott

redfish12

Cool trip and neat to finally see the redfish that are noted on the MA fishing regs. Also, Tomo is an awesome guy and runs a great shop if anyone is ever in the Salem, MA area they should stop by!

akfish

I'm curious: Last year I was in Iceland and had "redfish" for dinner. Was it the same fish you guys were catching here? BTW: It tasted great.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Hardy Boy

They would be a type of rock fish (sebastes app.), its a slang. Here in BC the commercial guys originally from the East Coast call pacific ocean perch red fish but they will also call any deep water rock fish red fish ( ie reedi, red stripe etc.). I would say they are rose fish or another name is Ocean Perch and that's why the East coasters call our Pacific Ocean perch "red fish". Anyway you slice it they are all tasty.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd