Sierra Nevada Flood Warnings

Started by foakes, April 27, 2019, 08:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Today, being the first day of the General Trout Season on the Eastern side of the Sierra Nevadas — I have been keeping track of the Trans-Sierra Pass openings — Monitor, Ebbets, Sonora, Tioga, and Kaiser.  Kaiser does not cross the Sierras — but gives us access to many areas.

Most of these road openings are running 2 to 4 weeks later than usual — due to some areas experiencing 170% to 200% of average snowfall.  Some drifts that the plow and dozer guys are running into are 8 to 15 feet.

Along with the great snowpack — is a flood warning for the rivers, creeks, and streams on both sides of the Sierras.

Picture an overflowing snow cone — then lay it out on the sidewalk in 80 degree sun.

That is what is happening up here now — except the snow cone is 400 miles long and 80 miles wide.

The rivers are being blown out — and will not be fishable for around another month, or more.  Reservoirs and lakes have been allowed to go down to between 40% to 3% of their capacity during the last month — only to be at 100% or over, as of today.

This will be an epic year for fishing on both the East and West slopes of the Sierras this year.  

But river and stream waters are freezing cold, running fast, and deceptively dangerous.  The lakes will be fine for now.

At our elevation — 4400' — the days have been around 80+, and the nights around 40.

I added a video at the end of this post showing operations to clear Tioga Pass, from 5 days ago.  This is 7500' — and the pass tops out at 9945'.

Looking forward to some good trout fishing this year — Rainbows, Browns, Brooks, and Golden's.

Best,

Fred

———————-

936 AM PDT Sat Apr 27 2019

...A FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH MONDAY MORNING...

The Flood Watch continues for

* A portion of Central California, including the following areas,
Central Sierra, Central Sierra Foothills, Lake Isabella, North
Kings River, Sequoia Kings, Southern Sierra Foothills, and
Tehachapi Area.

* Through Monday morning

* The combination of above normal temperatures and melting snow
over the higher elevations of the Southern Sierra Nevada and
Kern County mountains will result in a rise in water levels on
area rivers and streams this weekend leading to a heightened
threat of flooding.

* In Yosemite National Park, the California - Nevada River Forecast
Center expects the Merced River at Pohono Bridge to crest at
about a half foot below flood stage late tonight into early
Sunday morning. In Kern County, water levels will remain well
above normal on the South Fork of the Kern River this weekend.
Other rivers in the foothills and higher elevations of the
mountains may rise to near bankfull this weekend.

Caltrans District 9 (@Caltrans9) Tweeted:
Seasonal clearing of mountain roadway passes is underway in Caltrans District 9.  This video of State Route 120 west of Lee Vining commonly known as Tioga Pass shows how this year's deep, icy snow is a difficult task. https://t.co/jkeU3CgP01
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Our snow pack had a lot of rain on it this winter and is deep, compact and icy.  Unless we get a lot of warm rain the snow will melt gradually and no flooding.  Klamath Lake is as high as I have ever seen it and it looks like it will be a good water year.  On the minus side there was a wildfire in E. Lake County N. of Adel, OR last week.

It froze last night after 5-6 warmer nights and it will freeze the next too nights so spring is not here yet.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

harryk3616

be careful  fred,  no fish is worth a life lost. take care my friend and happy fishing.   harryk

El Pescador

Fred!

Totally agree!!!

Raging white waters are VERY dangerous but beautiful at the same time.

Here is trip my son and I made in mid May 2009, check out the Merced River, this on the southern entrance to Yosemite Valley.

Wayne

BUTT, what it does make is for gorgeous waterfalls!!!  Here are some of the many waterfalls in Yosemite Valley.

Here we are on our way to Glacier Point.  A view everyone needs to see in their lifetime.  This area is truly one of the Wonders of the World.

And since this is a fishing site, we did some cold water nymph fishing on the way to Glacier Point.

On our way back to Mariposa for the night.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Alto Mare

Wayne, that is absolutely beautiful!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Beautiful country but the winter is too brutal for me. Been in the south too long.

Dwight

Dominick

Nice Wayno.  Did you catch any nymphs?   ::)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.