Been doing that knot for braid to mono

Started by Marcq, June 24, 2018, 10:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Anyone use 2 diffrent knots, 1 each for diffrent situations? That is: a knot like an FG at home or ona boat when no bite goin on, and somethin simpler for the heat a the moment and/or rough seas.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MarkT

I use a improved albright/alberto/JC/RP or a TonyPena/BobSands on the boat and practice the FG at home.  The I've never been happy with my FG results.  The only thing that makes the FG better for casting is that the leader isn't doubled.  I use a leader short enough (3') that the knot doesn't go through the guides... problem solved!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Brewcrafter

Regardless of the actual knot (FG, JC/Polaris, Albright, etc) what is the consensus on glues or adhesives like UV Knot Sense?

Marcq

Quote from: Brewcrafter on June 29, 2018, 11:16:35 PM
Regardless of the actual knot (FG, JC/Polaris, Albright, etc) what is the consensus on glues or adhesives like UV Knot Sense?
I used to use glue in front of the knot to give it a nicer profile

Marc..

jnd1959

Once you've mastered the FG, it's not that hard. Just keep the lines taught and snug it down before you tie it off. As said earlier, with a rod holder it is much easier. I've even tied it on the kayak. Takes about 40 seconds or so.

Three se7ens

I can tie the FG easier on a kayak than on land.  The key to it being successful is getting it properly tight.  It needs to be pulled tight enough that the braid changes color.

jnd1959

I am going to try the Springer knot. That looks promising.

Three se7ens

There is one of my FG knots. 15 lb braid to 20 lb fluoro leader. I use a long leader(6') and this knot doesn't even make a noise passing through the guides. And casting distance is unaffected with the light lures I use.

Notice how the braid changes color at the knot. This is how to tell it's properly tightened.

Marktrahan

I will be tying Rp from now on I like the fact mono tag points straight down along leader not side ways like uni which catches grass in say bass fishing.

David Hall

X45 on the FG knot.  Man I like it. And the leader itself will fail before this knot does.

Marcq

Quote from: Three se7ens on July 01, 2018, 07:21:50 PM
There is one of my FG knots. 15 lb braid to 20 lb fluoro leader. I use a long leader(6') and this knot doesn't even make a noise passing through the guides. And casting distance is unaffected with the light lures I use.

Notice how the braid changes color at the knot. This is how to tell it's properly tightened.

Not even close  :D :D :D  40lb braid +25lb mono and I was sloppy  :D :D

Anyone else better?

Marc..

xjchad

Perfect!  That's why I love that knot. Barely bigger than the mono.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

boon

Quote from: Gfish on June 29, 2018, 03:01:31 PM
Anyone use 2 diffrent knots, 1 each for diffrent situations? That is: a knot like an FG at home or ona boat when no bite goin on, and somethin simpler for the heat a the moment and/or rough seas.

Yes, PR knots with a bobbin or splice into hollowcore at home, FG knot out on the boat.

Quote from: Marcq on July 01, 2018, 10:54:33 PM

Not even close  :D :D :D  40lb braid +25lb mono and I was sloppy  :D :D
Anyone else better?

Marc..

Still doubled mono so it will be more than twice as fat as a FG :)