alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Braided Dacron or braided Nylon?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
May 21, 2018, 10:30:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Braided Dacron or braided Nylon?  (Read 240 times)
JNG3

« on: May 04, 2018, 03:19:35 PM »

I have a few old level winds that I have cleaned up and want to put to use. Old Shakespeare True Blues, model 1929's and some small Ocean City's. Which is more appropriate, braided Dacron or braided Nylon lines? Or does it really matter? Will likely be buying Mason Tackle line if that matters. I'll be doing some casting, but 70% of the time I will be trolling spoons and small crankbaits. Thanks.
Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 03:32:59 PM »

Nylon was invented in '35, Dacron in '41, fishing line came several years later.  If you want the line to match with the reels age you will have to go with linen or silk.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 10:23:16 AM »

Dacron is best for trolling, but the line can never touch the bottom or obstructions because it will fray easily.  Nylon is more rugged but it stretches a lot and has less sensitivity.
-steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: