Two Piece Rods & Blanks

Started by Rivverrat, May 06, 2018, 05:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

I'm needing 2 piece rods or blanks 7'- 8'6" in length, able to fish 40 & 50 line with at least a 6 oz. lure rating. St Croix has their premier casting in 2 piece blanks & are $135.

Who else makes blanks or rods that fit my criteria here. Not concerned whether its composite or graphite, fast vs slow action as long as it fishes the specs I put forth & is a two piece... Jeff 

philaroman

keep an eye on this: https://www.lamiglas.com/collections/clearance-fishing-rods
nothing in your parameters now, but the heaviest discontinued sturg/tarp/salm rods often pop up

droppedit

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Rivverrat

Thanks to both of you. The Lami's  I'd forgotten about. I was also unaware of that they did an outlet sort of thing.  The black Hole jig rod is only 5'. However they makes some others that I've been aware of for some time they would work & would be my first choice. However I'm hoping to contain myself & find something cheaper. Being these 2 pc. rods wont see every day use... Jeff

Swami805

Might try some heavy walled old school sabre or calstar rods, cut them where they don't bend and epoxy ferrules to join them. That super thick glass should hold up pretty well I would think and could be done under your budget. Just a thought. A calstar 6480 would be a good 8' candidate. A 610 could be good for a 7 footer
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Jeri

Have previously built a number of 2 and 3 piece rods from single piece blanks. Used to use Sabre or Calstar - they seemed thick enough in the wall to be cut, and then with a solid carbon spigot at the junction. They worked fine, even down to a 20lb line class 3 piece from a 6' blank, just need to make sure the solid carbon spigot is tapered right - takes a fair bit of gentle sanding in the lathe.

You could probably do it with any thick walled blank, irrespective of manufacturer.

Hope that helps

Jeri